Following rejection by Giovanni Trappatoni, Sacchi was contacted, and agreed to have his name put forward to be considered for the post, but insisted that discussions would have to be held in Bologna, rather than Abuja.
A three-man team of top Nigerian football officials are expected to leave the UK this weekend and are expected to be in Italy next week to speak to the legendary former AC Milan manager who master-minded Italy's march to the World Cup Final in 1994.
Sacchi's last job was as Real Madrid's Director of Football between 2004 and 2005, but his representatives say his period of inaction was out of personal choice, and not for want of suitable offers.
England's Hoddle was added to the shortlist by the Nigeria officials during the course of last week's trip to England, where they met with Bruno Metsu, Ratomir Djukovic and Lars Lagerback.
Hoddle flew into London from Spain, where he owns and runs the Glenn Hoddle Academy. His presentation is said to have impressed the Nigeria officials, particularly National Sports Commission Director General Patrick Ekeji.
Prior to leaving for London, Ekeji is said to have tongue-lashed the NFF officials at the lack of a genuine world class name left in their shortlist, and after listening to Hoddle, appears to be strongly in favour of having him take charge of the Super Eagles both for the short and long term.
It is also understood that Hoddle is not making outrageous financial demands, which also sits well with Ekeji.
A final shortlist of three will be submitted to the NFF board, and vetted by the Ministry of Sports, who will be partly responsble for the new man's wages, before the new coach is named on February 28.