Ten Hag makes U-turn on Ronaldo?

English Premier League

Incoming Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has reportedly changed his mind about Cristiano Ronaldo ahead of the new season. 

There were reports in England earlier this month claiming that Ten Hag had given the club the green light to offload the 37-year-old forward in the next transfer window.

Read: Ten Hag receives advice about Ronaldo

United were criticised for signing Ronaldo at the start of the season, but he is the club's top scorer this season with 23 goals across all competitions.

However, the Sunday Mirror has now reported that Ten Hag is keen on Ronaldo staying at Old Trafford despite the new boss wanting to build a new United side based on "youth and high energy".

The report claims Ten Hag has decided that Ronaldo will not be a guaranteed starter for every game as he looks to get the best out of the 37-year-old next season.

The Portugal captain was linked with a departure in the past few months, but interim manager Ralf Rangnick says the player will speak with Ten Hag to discuss the way forward.

"This is something that we should speak about between Erik and the board and myself. Cristiano has another year of contract," Rangnick said, per the club's official website.

"It is also important to find out what he wants, if he wants to stay."

Here are the highest-paid players in the Premier League this season:

LaLiga star gets four-year jail term

3 stars who 'won't continue at Barca'

Ghana legend: I was a weed seller

comments