Rivaldo sorry for going AWOL

Coetzee had gone AWOL in a bid to secure a move away from the club, but has now returned to the Urban Warriors. Coetzee, however, said he and the club still need to decide what the future holds, leaving the door open for a move during the current transfer window.

In a video posted by the club on Tuesday, Coetzee apologised to coach Stanley Menzo and his teammates for not showing up for training sessions since the start of pre-season.

“Firstly I would like to apologise to the club, to the coaches and all my teammates for the way I behaved for the past three weeks,” he said.

“Ajax Cape Town has played a big role in my career and development so far. Me and the club are working together to develop even further. I am happy to say I spoke to coach Menzo and I apologised to him. We will decide what the future holds for me at the club. I am happy to say I have returned to training with the MDC team.

Ajax CEO, Ari Efstathiou said: “Rivaldo offered a heartfelt apology to the club; staff, coaches, and to our fans, one which we have accepted.

“We are happy that he has taken responsibility for his actions in a mature manner and accepted any decision made by the DC regarding his absence from training since the start of pre-season.”

Recently, Ajax coach Menzo spoke of how disappointment he was in the way Coetzee just decided not to turn up for training.

Coetzee will meet with Menzo on the club's return from Gauteng later this week.

comments