KickOff.com has obtained an update on the SAFA Arbitration matter involving the Premier Soccer League and Mamelodi Sundowns.
The ongoing legal battle between the PSL and Mamelodi Sundowns seems to have come to a standstill, according to an official close to the proceedings.
Sundowns and footballer supporters in general have been waiting patiently for the outcome of the League's appeal of their Disciplinary Committee outcome that, in their view, was a slap on the wrist.
The matter was urgently taken to the SA Football Association's Arbitration board prior to the last round of fixtures earlier this month, but no further updates have come from either party ... until now.
According to Sundowns acting general manager Yogesh Singh, the PSL have been dragging their feet after initially asking to postpone the hearing while prosecutor Nande Becker was ill.
"SAFA said they would make a call on it today. They had wanted to close the case but they wanted to find out [what's happening] from the League," Singh tells KickOff.com.
"The week after the [final] matches, we had suggested the Arbitration [hearing] be on Thursday, and we said, 'Listen, we are bringing our lawyers up from Cape Town so we need to know whether we're proceeding.'
"But they said their prosecutor is not well so they can't proceed, he'll be back on the 26th [May], so SAFA said okay they'll give them until the 26th.
"But today is the 30th, SAFA have been following up with them but they've said nothing. The last word from SAFA was that if these guys are not coming back to us then they're going to close the file. So, I know they're busy with ICASA today, but I'm just waiting on Russel - he said they'll make a call today."
When reached for comment, PSL CEO Mato Madlala said she was on leave and had not followed up on the matter at the office, while head of communications Lux September was unavailable.
SAFA's Russel Paul also could not answer the phone, understandably due to the association's presentation at the ICASA public hearings in Centurion this afternoon.