Ex-City star victim of violent robbery

English Premier League

A former Manchester City star was reportedly the victim of a violent robbery after four men broke into his home in Portugal and assaulted him early on Monday morning. 

Four assailants are said to have assaulted Benfica centre-back Nicolas Otamendi and even put a belt around his neck before stealing money and watches from him at his in Aroeira, Almada. 

Scroll through the gallery above to see some other footballers who were recently robbed

The incident reportedly happened after the defender returned from his side's 4-1 win over Famalicao on Sunday night.  

Otamendi is believed to have been "caught as he arrived back at home" before the criminals beat him up, stole the cash and timepieces, and then placed him in a room his wife and son had been put in, according to Correio da Manha. 

Per CNN Portugal, the crime is already being investigated by the country's judiciary police and a private security agent has been deployed at the door of Argentine's home. 

Read: Man Utd star suffers 'heart scare'

Benfica have since released a statement in response to the unsettling incident.

"Benfica confirms that its player Nico Otamendi was the victim of a robbery at his home during the early hours of today," the Portuguese club's statement read. 

"The player and his family are doing well, despite the enormous discomfort generated by the situation they are experiencing. 

"Benfica asks that the privacy of the player and his family be respected by all the media, pending the completion of the investigations initiated by the authorities."

Here are City's 10 highest earners this season and how much they get paid a week at the Etihad, per GiveMeSport

Rangnick told how to 'get more' from CR7

CONFIRMED: New UCL round of 16 revealed

Another Utd star reveals he wants out

comments