Baxter encourages Mahlambi and Manyama
Posted: 5 September 2018 Time: 09:57
Bafana Bafana coach Stuart Baxter says there is every chance Phakamani Mahlambi and Lebogang Manyama will return to the national team in time.
The attacking duo were overlooked by Baxter for Saturday's 2019 AFCON qualifier with Libya at Moses Mabhida Stadium due to insufficient game-time at their previous clubs.
Ex-Bidvest Wits winger Mahlambi joined Mamelodi Sundowns on a five-year deal last week, having scored one goal and assisted a further five in 15 games for eight-time CAF Champions League winners Al-Ahly in Egypt.
The 20-year-old, who has six caps, was last called up for international duty in March when South Africa won the Four Nations tournament in Zambia.
Former Cape Town City captain Manyama also returned to the PSL in the past transfer window, linking up with Kaizer Chiefs on a free transfer after only managing two goals in 10 appearances for Turkish outfit Konyaspor.
Manyama was part of the Bafana side that beat Nigeria for the first time in a competitive game in June last year with a 2-0 scoreline in the opening game of the AFCON qualifiers.
"Both Phakamani and Lebo have not played for too long. They've had issues with their clubs; either the coach didn't fancy them and they didn't get enough game-time or maybe they got their heads down and got a little depressed about the whole situation," Baxter said.
''And that happens in football. And both of them if they get back in football and do what they do well, there's every chance that they'll get back into the squad. So that is that one."