Clinton Larsen says Golden Arrows’ transfer window is closed
Posted: 21 August 2018 Time: 16:00
Clinton Larsen says the transfer window is closed for his Golden Arrows side, as he looks to be competitive with what he has at his disposal.
Abafana Bes’thende have had a relatively quiet transfer season so far, with Portuguese striker João Moreira and Mamelodi Sundowns defender Siyanda Zwane their only two recruits, while a number of youngsters have been promoted from the club’s development ranks following the success of their MultiChoice Diski Challenge team last season.
“We are still in the process of building,” Larsen said. “We have a lot of young boys we are looking to promote from our Diski team like [Siboniso] Conco, who we gave a chance on Saturday, and [Velemseni] Ndwandwe – he’s been injured, but was ever-present last season. We may not have the talent other teams do, but what we saw [against Cape Town City] was the fighting spirit from our team and some good organisation.”
Arrows have started the 2018/19 season with a win, a draw and a loss, yet Larsen says he won’t bolster his squad with 10 days left in the transfer window.
“I’ve signed quite a few payers – all from my Diski team,” he laughed when asked about the club’s transfer dealings. “We have a concept and vision at our club, to build a strong, young team and give our Diski players an opportunity before looking outside. There’s still a few others: [Siphamandla] Sabelo played a few weeks ago, and he picked up a knock, while Saturday’s match was only Conco’s fourth or fifth game in the premier league.
“And there’s a few more we want to give an opportunity to at the right moment. But for us the window is closed, we won’t be signing any more players – we will continue with what we’ve got. It’s going to be a long, hard season for us, we know that. But I believe there’s enough quality in this team for us to be competitive, and that’s all we can be this season.”