Related News

Related Club News

Former Mamelodi Sundowns and Moroka Swallows striker Sandile Ndlovu concerned with Premier Soccer League strikers

Posted: 2 April 2018 Time: 12:00

Former Mamelodi Sundowns and Moroka Swallows striker Sandile Ndlovu is concerned that South Africa is no longer producing natural born strikers like Benni McCarthy and the late Lesley Manyathela.

The last time a striker hit the 20-goal mark in the Absa Premiership was in 2011/12, when Siyabonga Nomvethe rolled back the years to produce one of his finest seasons in the top flight.

But since then, strikers have scored less than 15 goals, which is a cause for concern.

With six matches to go in the Absa Premiership this season, the top scorer is Polokwane City’s Rodney Ramagalela on 10 goals.

Ndlovu says coaches are not entirely to blame for the lack of goals.

"I wouldn't say the coaches don't give the boys freedom to express themselves," Ndlovu tells KickOff.com.

"The coach gives you 40 percent, he gives you the guidelines of the game. The other 60 percent is from the player. I don't remember a coach shouting at a player who uses his skill with the purpose of going forward. So it's up to these boys as they are not hungry enough to score goals.

“We don't have natural strikers here in South Africa who know what kind of runs to make to score, like Benni McCarthy, Lesley Manyathela, Shaun Bartlett...people who only dropped to the midfield to start an attack and quickly go back to the danger area.

“We cannot blame the midfielders and say they don't supply the strikers with the ball. Ntokozo Sikhakhane used to pass me the ball because I was making good runs [at Dynamos].

"Trust me, if I can get a job of coaching strikers in the PSL, to teach them how to make runs...maybe there's something that can change because I would be talking about something that I did, something that is inside me. These days strikers don't stop, all they do is run, run...Sometimes a striker needs to just stand and watch things unfold, before making a sudden run and score. So these boys they don't have that.”

Article by: Sipho Mlotha
Terms of use:

The comments posted do not reflect the views of KickOff.com. Users are reminded that no misuse of this comment facility will be tolerated. Any abusive, racist, inflammatory, defamatory, discriminatory comments or hate speech will be deleted and the user banned.

If legally obliged we will hand over your information under the Protection of Information Act.

Please report abusive posts to editor@kickoff.com.