Mayambela: 10 years and not out (Part 1)
Posted: 13 February 2018 Time: 11:00
Today is a special day for Chippa United winger Mark Mayambela, who made his professional debut on this day back in 2008 while in the colours of Bloemfontein Celtic.
As he celebrates a decade in the game, the skillful winger tells KickOff.com about the 10 most memorable moments of his career.
10. Just recently we played a league match against Platinum Stars and we played to a 2-2 draw [at Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium]. It was the first time in my whole career to score a brace. The second goal was a cheeky one when the opposition was not ready, as I took the free-kick to score. It was unfortunate that we ended up drawing the game.
9. This was not only one of the best moments of my career, but also one of the most emotional in my life. It was when I was playing for Ajax Cape Town last season and went to play against Celtic at the Seisa Ramabodu Stadium. We beat Celtic 3-0, but after the game Celtic supporters started calling my name. I still have a video clip of them singing my name after the game. Celtic was my first home in my professional career and it still remains my home. The club holds a special place in my heart. The love they gave me was the best of my life. It is my wish to do something for the fans of Bloemfontein Celtic to show my appreciation for everything they have done for me. I am who I am today because of them.
8. While I was at Orlando Pirates we beat Tottenham Hotspur in the Vodacom Challenge. They had great players like Aaron Lennon, Gareth Bale, Luka Modric and Jermain Defoe. I was on the bench and Julio Leal was the coach. I came on in the second half and I mesmerised them with South African flair. I played one of the best games of my life that day. After the game, the players came to shake hands and they were praising me for a good game. It was special to get such recognition from players that I admire and watch on TV.
7. When I was in Sweden, I played for one of the biggest teams Djurgardens. We were playing against Falkenberg and I came on as a substitute. The fans were chanting and singing my name. The coach brought me in and I was playing on the left flank. I took on the right-back and went on to score a cracker. We won the game 1-0. The fans kept singing my name until the end of the match. The vibe at the stadium was unbelievable. I can’t describe the feeling.
6. I remember when we were playing a cup game in Sweden and all of a sudden I heard the fans singing ”Maya-mbela, Maya-mbela". At first I didn't know what was going on in the stands. It started to sink in that they were singing my name. I didn't expect such, especially for a foreign player coming all the way from South Africa. That was a great moment for me. I don't know if there is any player that had fans singing his name. If there is, they are only a few. It was a special feeling to get such love. I will always cherish those moments with supporters. It was extended to my brother [Mihlali] when he arrived there. The song was passed to him and they gave him a warm welcome.
5-1 will follow later today on KickOff.com.