'No Mahlambi talks with Pirates'
Posted: 24 January 2018 Time: 11:20
Al Ahly forward Phakamani Mahlambi’s future is close to being finalised but Orlando Pirates is not his likely destination, so says his agent.
Mahlambi has been the subject of major transfer speculation since KickOff.com broke the news that the Egyptian club are looking to send the winger out on loan.
The 20-year-old is linked with a possible move to Saudi Arabia as well as a return to South Africa, with Mamelodi Sundowns believed to be interested.
Mahlambi is amongst seven Under-21s in The Red Devils squad at present, all of whom have seen limited action this season, thus prompting the club to look for loan opportunities to afford them more regular game-time.
Reports have since circulated suggesting that the Bafana Bafana youngster could be on his way to The Buccaneers, but his agent has denied there have been any talks with the Mayfair-based outfit.
“I haven’t spoken to Pirates at all, neither has the player. There has been interest from a number of clubs, but I haven’t heard from Pirates at all,” says Glyn Binkin of The Player’s Club.
It is also thought that FIFA rules could prohibit the former Bidvest Wits star from joining a third club this season, after he was previously registered with The Clever Boys and sat on the bench during a 2-2 Absa Premiership draw with Free State Stars on August 23.
Binkin, though, understands that a player must have played for two clubs for him to be considered active and subsequently prohibited from joining a third club in one season, thus a move is still on the cards.
The defending Absa Premiership champions can also not be ruled out of the race for Mahlambi, as they look to solidify their safety from the relegation zone with 12 games to go.