Ajax explain Nxumalo debacle
Posted: 4 January 2018 Time: 16:00
Ajax Cape Town boss Ari Efstathiou says striker Prince Nxumalo is still very much part of the club, but no final decision has yet been made on the player’s future.
The Bafana Bafana forward went AWOL towards the end of last year, and was not at training when the squad reassembled in preparation for their first clash of 2018 against Maritzburg United on Friday evening.
The 27-year-old, who has two goals in six league appearances so far this term, was reportedly put on the club’s January transfer list, with the arrival of former Orlando Pirates striker Tendai Ndoro seemingly a like-for-like replacement.
Nxumalo did however return to Ikamva on Wednesday and met with Efstathiou, who tells KickOff.com that the troubled forward is still currently part of the squad – yet that might change by the end of the month.
“He is still contracted to Ajax,” the Ajax boss tells this website. “He got back yesterday, and I met with him. But it’s a process at the moment, we still have to discuss with the coach as well, and at this moment, I can’t give you any further information.
“He is part of the squad at the moment, and no other decisions have been made otherwise.”
Meanwhile, injury-prone winger Ejike Uzoenyi has still not reported to Ajax’s training base after returning home to Nigeria for the holidays.
There is however a clause in the Nigerian’s contract which allows the club to decide on his future in the current transfer window, a decision Efstathiou says will be made upon the winger’s return to Cape Town.