Senegal include Sadio Mane in their squad despite injury concerns
Posted: 18 October 2017 Time: 16:48
Liverpool forward Said Mane has been included in the Senegal squad to face Bafana Bafana in back-to-back 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying fixtures next month despite carrying an injury.
Mane was initially set to miss the matches after being ruled out “for up to six weeks” with a hamstring strain last week, which he suffered in the Lions of Teranga’s 2-0 win over Cape Verde on October 10.
He recently missed his club's 0-0 draw at home to Manchester United on the weekend, as well as their 7-0 UEFA Champions League thrashing of Maribor on Tuesday evening.
However, coach Aliou Cisse has since named the 25-year-old winger in his squad, insisting that he will be ready for the Group D deciders.
"In my mind, there's no doubt he will be with us for the double header against South Africa, and that he will be 100% fit," said Cisse in a statement on Wednesday.
"Until now, he has just been doing some individual training - running in straight lines - but from next week, he is going to train harder and start working with the ball."
Bafana will host the replay, as ordered by FIFA, at the Peter Mokaba Stadium on November 10, before travelling to Dakar for the away leg four days later.
Senegal currently lead the group with eight points from four games, and need just two points to seal their place at next year’s showpiece in Russia, while Bafana are bottom with four points.
Meanwhile, second-placed Burkina Faso will also face third-placed Cape Verde on November 14 – both teams have six points from five games played.
Stuart Baxter is yet to name his squad for the all-important double header next month.