Related News

Related Club News

English Premier League match report Brighton & Hove Albion v Newcastle United 24 September 2017

Posted: 24 September 2017 Time: 17:27

Chris Hughton claimed revenge on the club who unceremoniously sacked him in 2010 as his Brighton & Hove Albion beat Newcastle United 1-0 at the Amex Stadium on Sunday.

Spurred on by a vocal home crowd, Brighton started the game brightly, heaping pressure on the Newcastle defence.

Pascal Groß looked certain to open the scoring in the 11th minute as he fired a close-range shot at goal following a scramble in the box, but it came off Anthony Knockaert and Newcastle survived.

Two minutes later, Knockaert was booked for a pull-back on Christian Atsu.

Against the run of play, Joselu was gifted a golden chance 21 minutes in when a low cross from Ayoze Pérez took a deflection and fell into his path. However, he shot wide of the target from right in front of goal.

Newcastle looked increasingly comfortable as the half progressed, but Brighton threatened again in stoppage time. Shane Duffy’s header just evaded Tomer Hemed in the box, allowing Rob Elliot to gather.

The teams went into the break deadlocked at 0-0.

Brighton took the lead 50 minutes in when a Groß free-kick from the left found Dale Stephens at the far post. The midfielder headed the ball to Hemed, who hooked it home.

In the 56th minute, they nearly doubled their advantage as a Bruno cross from the right found Solly March and he fired goalwards from the back post. It took a fine save from Elliot, who had left him with plenty of room to aim at, to deny him just as the ball was about to cross the line.

Newcastle nearly sprung a surprise in the 73rd minute as a Jonjo Shelvey corner curled in and hit the near post.

Duffy was booked 76 minutes in for a clumsy challenge on Pérez.

However, the visitors did not get the decision they badly wanted in the 79th minute as Shelvey’s penalty appeal following a collision with Bruno was turned down.

Jamaal Lascelles picked up the final booking of the game in stoppage time, with referee André Marriner having earlier neglected to punish Hemed for a stamp on DeAndre Yedlin.

Newcastle continued to press for an equaliser, but in the end, Brighton hung on to claim their second win of the league season and move three points clear of the relegation zone.

Article by: Staff Reporter
Terms of use:

The comments posted do not reflect the views of Users are reminded that no misuse of this comment facility will be tolerated. Any abusive, racist, inflammatory, defamatory, discriminatory comments or hate speech will be deleted and the user banned.

If legally obliged we will hand over your information under the Protection of Information Act.

Please report abusive posts to