Mumble: Bafana players must step up
Posted: 24 September 2017 Time: 10:00
SAFA CEO Dennis Mumble has pointed a finger at the Bafana Bafana players for their two defeats against Cape Verde in the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifiers.
Bafana’s chance of qualifying for the World Cup in Russia are slim, following the news that they have to replay the match against Senegal.
They were poor in back-to-back matches against Cape Verde, first losing 2-1 in Praia and then going to lose by the same scoreline at Moses Mabhida Stadium four days later earlier this month.
While supporters have been pointing fingers at coach Stuart Baxter for the defeats, Mumble says players need to account and they will not be selected going forward if they do not perform.
“I said it and I will say it once again; the players did not perform. They simply did not perform and they must account,” said Mumble.
“The reality is that if you did not perform, you are not going to be selected and I want to make sure we don’t make the same mistakes that we made in the previous matches. I am not going to tell the coach who to select because we will never interfere in that.”
Baxter has named a 25-man squad for the next qualifier against Burkina Faso at FNB Stadium on October 7.
The Brit handed maiden call-ups to right-backs Reeve Frosler (Bidvest Wits) and Thami Mkhize (Cape Town City), and France-based forward Lebo Mothiba.
Al-Ahly attacker Phakamani Malambi and Qarabağ hitman Dino Ndlovu returned to the fold, but there is no place for ex-Orlando Pirates striker Tokelo Rantie, who has been inactive for Turkish side Gençlerbirliği through suspension.
Bafana are propping up Group D with a point from three games - four points behind Senegal and five shy of Cape Verde and the Burkinabe.