Ajax Cape Town minus Prince Nxumalo for Baroka clash
Posted: 21 September 2017 Time: 14:34
Ajax Cape Town will be without first-choice striker Prince Nxumalo for Saturday’s Absa Premiership clash against Baroka.
The forward has a groin strain and will not travel to Polokwane with the Urban Warriors – a big blow considering he netted a brace in Ajax’s 2-0 victory over Polokwane City last week, helping the Cape club register their first three-pointer of the season.
“Prince has a groin strain and hasn’t trained the whole week, so he won’t travel with us,” coach Stanely Menzo told reporters. “Innocent [Nemukondeni] is also not traveling with us as he took a knock on his ankle in a MDC game on Sunday.
“Grant [Margeman] took a knock, but seems okay … but we have to take care of him – it was a long season for him in the PSL last year, with the [junior] national team as well, so we have to take good care of him.”
Menzo says he’s braced for a bruising battle against the joint table-toppers, acknowledging that they are a difficult team to prepare for.
“It will be a tough match,” he said. “Knowing them, they go for 90 minutes plus, and are everywhere on the field. Yes, we can say maybe it’s not structured, but maybe that’s a danger – you don’t really know how to approach them. So we will try play our own game. I told the boys today that we have to keep a lot of possession, and not give in to their way of playing: one, because it’s not our style, and not out strength.
“It will be a fight – where we have to fight, we must fight, where we have to play, we must play.”
Baroka were 1-0 winners in the final game of last season in the Mother City, with a 1-1 draw played out earlier last season.
Kick-off at Peter Mokaba Stadium is set for 15h00 on Saturday.