Kaizer Chiefs opt against contract offer for striker Jonathan Philippe after month-long trials
Posted: 21 August 2017 Time: 08:02
Kaizer Chiefs have decided against signing Argentine striker Jonathan Philippe.
Philippe, a Boca Juniors academy product, trained with Chiefs for close to a month and was part of the Amakhosi side which saw off Orlando Pirates in the Carling Black Label Champion Cup last month.
Initial indications were that Chiefs had agreed in principle to sign the striker as the Soweto giants look to fill the spots vacated by Siphelele Mthembu, Edward Manqele and Camaldine Abraw at the end of last season, after the trio failed to deliver in front of goal.
However, head coach Steve Komphela, whose side opened their 2017/18 Absa Premiership campaign with a 1-1 draw against Bloemfontein Celtic at Free State Stadium on Sunday, seems to be content with the arsenal at his disposal, which includes the likes of Gustavo Paez, Bernard Parker and Ryan Moon.
“We let go of him [Philippe] because we’re saying if we have to bring in a striker, it has been to be above what we have. We felt that he was not at the stage where you'd say he's above Parker, he's above maybe Paez and Moon,” Komphela said at a press conference in Bloemfontein at the weekend.
"We said, instead of staying too long, let’s rather release him and then see if he's got other options somewhere out there.”
The 29-year-old was previously playing for Greek side Agrotikos before leaving at the end of last season, where he scored nine goals with two assists in 34 appearances in all competitions.