Bidvest Wits continue to wait for Jabulani Shongwe suitors
Posted: 5 August 2017 Time: 21:26
Bidvest Wits CEO Jose Ferreira has explained the situation surrounding midfielder Jabulani Shongwe, whose exit is not yet ruled out.
Shongwe has been linked with a move away from the Clever Boys since the beginning of last season, with Orlando Pirates and Kaizer Chiefs said to have been amongst the interested parties.
Fereira has since confirmed that no concrete offer has been recieved for the 27-year-old attacker, who still has a year left on his deal at the Milpark-based club, but the door will remain open until the end of this month.
"Jabulani Shongwe is in his last year with us. We gave him and his agent an undertaking at the end of last season that if a good opportunity came around that we would look at it," said Fereira.
"There have been some informal inquiries but nothing of any significance at this stage, but we will afford him an opportunity [to move on] if a good deal for him comes our way.
"We had a few offers, some of which didn't interest us while others didn't interest the player, but we'll see. We've still got time until August 31 and I'm sure something will happen by then.
"If nothing happens then he will be incorporated into the squad for this season."
Meanwhile, coach Gavin Hunt said the door for opportunity in his side has not been closed to Shongwe, despite him being handed minimal game-time last season and the numerous midfield options that have come in ahead of the new season.
"Any good player is in our plans, it's just a matter of the player perhaps felt he didn't get enough game time. I've always felt you need to do what's best for both parties," he added.
"If nothing happens then he'll come back into the squad, and we don't really have a very big one, which is good. But we definitely have good competition across all fronts.
"It's important that players understand that we try and pick the best 11 for a particular occasion."