Banyana Banyana exports on the rise
Posted: 8 May 2017 Time: 14:49
The number of South African women footballers plying their trade overseas has risen to 17.
The latest exports are defenders Caryn van Ryneveld and Jamie Lee Witbooi, who have been snapped up by IBV in Iceland – both have featured in the SAFA junior women’s national teams.
They are leaving the country on Wednesday to join the club which Lerato Kgasago, Antonia Carelse and Rose Jijane played for previously.
The duo will be followed abroad by former U-20 women’s national team captain, midfielder Amogelang Motau, who is headed for Oral Roberts University in Oklahoma, USA.
She departs in August to play for the same university attended by midfieder Koketso Mamabolo and defenders Drishana Pillay and Charmelle Wiltshire.
“With the U-17 and U-20 national teams becoming active soon, these players will gain valuable international experience to bring back to the teams which will help us qualify for more major tournaments,” said SAFA assistant technical director Fran Hilton-Smith.
High-profile Banyana Banyana players include captain Janine can Wyk and Jermaine Seoposenwe, who are based in the USA as well as goalkeeper Roxanne Barker who is in the Netherlands and striker Andisiwe Mgcoyi who plays in Germany.
There are also a number of Banyana players that are studying at universities in the USA including Kaylin Swart, Stephanie Malherbe, Kelso Peskin and Robyn Moodaly.
“This is good news for our national teams as the players gain experience in a different environment and are exposed to different levels of competition,” added Hilton-Smith.
“These ladies are paving the way for more interest in South African women players. Our players are competing on an equal footing and this raises the chances of more players being invited to play overseas.”
SA women national team players abroad:
PLAYER POSITION CLUB
1. Roxanne Barker Goalkeeper SC Heerenveen, Netherlands
2. Janine Van Wyk Defender Houston Dash, Houston, Texas
3. Stephanie Malherbe Midfielder Texas A&M University, Texas
4. Koketso Nelly Mamabolo Midfielder Oral Roberts University, Oklahoma
5. Meagan Robyn Newman Defender Lee University, Cleveland
6. Jermaine Seoposenwe Striker Samford University, Birmingham
7. Kelso Peskin Striker Lamar University, Beaumont, Texas
8. Kaylin Swart Goalkeeper Menlo College, Atheron, California
9. Nomvula Kgoale Mid / Def Louisiana Tech University, Louisiana
10. Drishana Pillay Defender Oral Roberts University, Oklahoma
11. Robyn Moodaly Midfielder University NorthWestern Ohio, Ohio
12. Charmelle Wiltshire Defender Oral Roberts University, Oklahoma
13. Jessica Xentsa Defender Charlton Athletic (on loan)
14. Andisiwe Mgcoyi Striker FC Saarbrucken, Germany
STILL TO LEAVE SOUTH AFRICA
15. Caryn Van Ryneveld Defender IBV- Iceland
16. Jamie Lee Witbooi Defender IBV- Iceland
17. Amogelang Motau Midfielder Oral Roberts University, Oklahoma