1 - 4
Super Stadium
19/03/2009 19:30

SuperSport thump Sundowns

Posted: 19 March 2009 Time: 21:43

SuperSport United moved six points clear at the top of the Absa Premiership with a 4-1 thrashing of local rivals Mamelodi Sundowns at Super Stadium.

Orlando Pirates do, however, have a game in hand on SuperSport but, for Sundowns, now 11 points off the pace with five games to go, their title hopes are all but over.

Both teams had chances in the first half, but it was Gavin Hunt’s side who were more clinical in front of goal.

After Glen Salmon had sent a header across the face of goal which just eluded Anthony Laffor in the eighth minute, Esrom Nyandoro had the first effort on target when his stinging shot forced Andre Arendse to palm the ball to safety.


Sibusiso Zuma then missed the best chance of the half for the Brazilians when he fired over with the goal at his mercy in the 16th minute.

SuperSport took the lead in the 23rd minute when Anthony Laffor rounded goalkeeper Calvin Marlin before doing well to put the ball in the roof of the net from a tight angle.

Just five minutes later Matsatsantsa had doubled their lead when Thabo September released Laffor, who in turn squared the ball for Dain Klate, who applied the killer touch from 15 yards out.

Sundowns wasted the chance to pull a goal back five minutes before the break when Siboniso Gaxa beat the offside trap and laid the ball across goal for Diyo Sibisi, but his shot left a lot to be desired as he skied the ball over the bar.

Sundowns failed to make much impact early on in the second half, although they did come close when Nyandoro’s low shot from 20 yards out forced Arendse into a good save as he dived full length to his right, having seen the shot late.

The game was effectively ended as a contest on 65 minutes when SuperSport scored their third and Laffor his second. There was nothing pretty about the build-up to as a long ball found its way to Salmon, who held the ball up well before playing in the Liberian.

Laffor then went on to heap more misery on Sundowns when he completed his hat-trick in the 77th minute, turning Elias Pelembe’s cross home from close range at the near post.

Things went from bad to worse for the Brazilians when Matthew Booth was red-carded for a scything tackle on Pelembe in the 83rd minute.

Sundowns did at least manage to finally get on the score-sheet when Collins Mbesuma slid in to turn Benedict Vilakazi’s cross past Arendse for an 86th-minute consolation goal.

Related News

View comments