Mamelodi Sundowns goalkeeper Danis Onyango is ranked 10th best goalkeeper in the world.
Posted: 27 December 2016 Time: 19:04
Mamelodi Sundowns goalkeeper Denis Onyango is rated amongst the best goalkeepers of 2016 by International Federation of Football History & Statistics.
The Brazilians shot-stopper is ranked 10th in the world by the International Federation of Football History & Statistics. Football experts from 50 countries made their selections as part of the 30th IFFHS annual elections.
Onyango beat the likes of Petr Cech who players for Arsenal and Barcelona’s Marc Andre Ter Stegen who are 11th and 13th respectively.
The Ugandan-born goalkeeper has had great 2016 winning the won the ABSA Premiership, the CAF Champions League with Sundowns and is also among the nominees in the CAF Player of the Year Awards for the category of those based in Africa.
Germany’s and Bayern München’s Goalkeeper Manuel Neuer has won his fourth successive IFFHS crown as The World’s Best Goalkeeper for 2016 with a convincing victory in this year’s poll.
Full Top 13 Goalkeeprs:
1. Manuel Neuer (Germany/FC Bayern Munich) - 156 points
2. Gianluigi Buffon (Italy/Juventus) - 91 points
3. Rui Patricio (Portugal/Sporting Portugal) - 50 points
4. Claudio Bravo (Chile/FC Barcelona/Manchester City)- 45 points
5. David De Gea (Spain/Manchester United)- 37 points
6. Jan Oblak (Slovenia/Atletico Madrid) -31 points
7. Hugo Lloris (France/Tottenham Hotspur) - 29 points
8- Keylor Navas (Costa Rica/Real Madrid) - 18 points
9. Thibaut Courtois (Belgium/Chelsea) - 13 points
10. Denis Onyango (Uganda/Mamelodi Sundowns) - 5 points
11. Petr Cech (Czech Republic/Arsenal) - 4 points
12. Samir Handanovic (Slovenia/Inter Milan) - 2 points
13. Marc André Ter Stegen (Germany/FC Barcelona) - 1 point