Mamelodi Sundowns striker Leonardo Castro back in action next month from ankle injury
Posted: 19 September 2016 Time: 15:23
Mamelodi Sundowns striker Leonardo Castro is undergoing therapy in Colombia after being granted special leave to return to his homeland after picking up an ankle injury last month.
Castro left for his hometown Bogota last Wednesday and is expected back in the country next week along with his fiancée and daughter, who will finally be able to join him in South Africa over a year since he signed for The Brazilians.
The 27-year-old is expected to be back in action early next month.
KickOff.com has been told that Castro is now able to walk with comfort but is yet to start running as he is still undergoing his rehabilitation back home.
“He is on heat and cold therapy, they are also applying ultrasound which helps with strengthening. Luckily, it is just ligaments that were affected with no fractured which is why there was no operation needed. The only challenge is that he is under instruction not to run which means his fitness will be affected by the time he returns. But being as disciplined as he is this shouldn’t be bad,” says a source.
Castro suffered an ankle injury in the MTN8 quarter-final victory over SuperSport United at the end of August, and has already missed the last three games that the club has played.
Castro is in his second season at Sundowns having scored 14 goals in all competitions in his first year at the club. He is part of the attacking combination that has famously been referred to as CBD which also includes Khama Billiat and Keagan Dolly.