Chippa United assistant coach Mbhuyiselo Sambu says he's clean in PSL match-fixing scandal
Posted: 15 March 2016 Time: 16:03
Chippa United assistant coach Mbhuyiselo Sambu says he is disappointed that he is being implicated in the latest round of PSL match-fixing allegations.
According to information released by the whistleblower of this advanced syndicate, Sambu was contacted and accepted an offer to throw a game against his former team Free State Stars towards the end of last season.
Sambu was still a Chippa player back then but only came on as an injury-time substitute, replacing Christopher Komane on 91 minutes in that particular match played on May 2 last year, which was won 2-0 by Stars. That win made sure Ea Lla Koto took a huge step towards surviving the drop.
Sambu says he has no idea why his name is being tarnished in this way.
“It is really disappointing to have your name being dragged through such when you know very well that you have never been part of such activities. Through all of my playing career I never misbehaved,” he tells KickOff.com.
Sambu also reveals an unusual call that he received from Stars football manager Khotso Mokoena in the period leading up to the end of last season.
“The only thing that ever happened is that prior to a game that we played in Johannesburg [against Bidvest Wits] towards the end of last season I received a random call from Khotso and we spoke. He was not even talking about the game that we will play against his team but just mentioned that they were struggling and then just wished me good luck for the game that we were due to play [against Wits].
“I was thinking that he would mention something dodgy due to all the things that I have always heard happen at that time of the year but he never said anything … I was just surprised to be getting a call from him because even though I spent four years at Free State Stars I wasn’t close to him to such an extent that I would be in regular contact with him.
“I didn’t even have his number saved in my phone and the timing of the call is what just made me feel uncomfortable and report the call to the club.
“I then reported that call to my club and it was taken to the club lawyers in Johannesburg and the club has all the documents regarding that. With these kind of things now emerging I feel I did the right thing to inform the club about that rather strange call.
“So from my side it is all black and white and I believe it is a good thing that whoever is implicating is claiming to have all the proof that I was contacted and I accepted an offer to throw away a game because that is what proves how clean I am. I never took any money to throw away any game,” he explains.
Sambu retired from playing in December last year and immediately became the assistant coach to Dan Malesela.
“I have nothing to hide because I am clean. I am not stressed but I am just disappointed that my good name is being dragged through all this,” he adds.
Also allegedly involved in this cartel that was trying to find a way into domestic football is the Bloemfontein Celtic duo of Patrick Tignyemb and Lantshene Phalane, University of Pretoria pair Washington Arubi and Partson Jaure, as well as George Chigova and Lebogang Motumi of Polokwane City.
The damning allegations against Chigova and Motumi claim that they were paid $15 000 (R234 600) and $10 000 (R156 000) respectively to throw away an Absa Premiership match against Bidvest Wits that ended 5-0 in favour of the Clever Boys in January.
Retired footballer Edzai Kasinauyo has already been suspended from his post as a ZIFA board member for allegedly being part of the ring while former Warriors coach Ian Gorowa is also mentioned as having played a role in the scandal.