0 - 4
(0 - 2)
Royal Bafokeng Stadium
04/11/2015 19:30
Referee: Thando Ndzandzeka

Related News

Related Club News

Platinum Stars 0-4 Bidvest Wits PSL Absa Premiership report

Posted: 4 November 2015 Time: 21:43

Platinum Stars suffered their first Absa Premiership defeat of the season on Wednesday night, going down 4-0 at the hands of Bidvest Wits at the Royal Bafokeng Stadium to relinquish top spot on the log.

The Clever Boys – who move to second place as a result of the victory – scored their goals via a first-half brace from young striker Phakamani Mahlambi and second-half strikes from Sibusiso Vilakazi and Papy Faty.

Stars made the quicker start of the two teams and after a couple of half chances early on they had a great opportunity to open the scoring in the 14th minute when Bongi Ntuli got on the end of a corner kick, but he was unable to direct his back-post header on target.

Five minutes later Wits created their first chance when Sibusiso Vilakazi stole in to catch the hosts’ defence napping, but the Bafana Bafana attacker shot well wide with only goalkeeper Bouna Coundoul to beat.

The Clever Boys broke the deadlock in the 35th minute through a well-worked passing move which saw Vilakazi and Daine Klate combine to tee up youngster Phakamani Mahlambi, who fired the ball into the net from close range to make it 1-0.

Shortly thereafter the visitors doubled their advantage, with Elias Pelembe hitting the post before the rebound fell to Mahlambi – he sent a shot toward goal which was bundled over his own line by defender Siboniso Gumede.

Dikwena would have been hoping for a solid start to the second half, but just four minutes after the interval they conceded goal number three. Klate picked out Vilakazi, who showed his class with a good piece of control before guiding a volley past Coundoul’s left hand to make it 3-0.

On 54 minutes Stars thought they had a pulled goal back when Masibusane Zongo’s clever flicked allowed Ndumiso Mabena to fire the ball into the net, but the striker was flagged offside.

Wits were off the boil for most of the second half, but they were still able to add a fourth goal with just over 10 minutes of regulation time to play when Stars were unable to clear Pelembe’s free kick and Papy Faty arrived late to head home and extend his team’s lead.

Terms of use:

The comments posted do not reflect the views of KickOff.com. Users are reminded that no misuse of this comment facility will be tolerated. Any abusive, racist, inflammatory, defamatory, discriminatory comments or hate speech will be deleted and the user banned.

If legally obliged we will hand over your information under the Protection of Information Act.

Please report abusive posts to editor@kickoff.com.