3 - 1
(1 - 0)
Bidvest Stadium
04/08/2015 19:30
Referee: Victor Gomes

Related News

Related Club News

2015 MTN8 quarter-final: Bidvest Wits vs SuperSport United

Posted: 4 August 2015 Time: 19:08

Bidvest Wits finished stronger after 120 minutes of football to beat SuperSport United 3-1 in the MTN8 quarter-finals at Bidvest Stadium on Tuesday night.

Sibusiso Vilakazi gave the Clever Boys an early lead with a side-footed finish from a Henrico Botes cutback from the right. Botes was played through by Elias Pelembe from midfield.

But Jeremy Brockie brought Matsatsantsa level in the 56th minute with the easiest of close-range headers from a pinpoint Dove Wome cross from the right to take the game into extra time.

Former SuperSport man Daine Klate came back to haunt the club after he netted with a glancing fiving header from Siyabonga Nhlapo's cross in the first half of extra time to give Wits a 2-1 lead.

Henrico Botes then put the result beyond doubt with a thunderous strike just a few minutes later. The Namibian targetman picked the ball up quite a far way from goal, turned his markers, who all back off, and the striker duly eccepted the invitaiton to rifle an unstoppable shot past Ronwen Williams.

The game also saw referee Victor Gomes dish out two reds cards – Buhle Mhkwanazi was sent off for a second yellow card in the 78th minute and Kingston Nkhatha talked his way into an early shower in stoppage time at the end of the second half.

HOME: Bidvest Wits

Coach: Gavin Hunt
Formation: four two three one

AWAY: SuperSport United

Coach: Gordon Igesund
Formation: four four two

Terms of use:

The comments posted do not reflect the views of KickOff.com. Users are reminded that no misuse of this comment facility will be tolerated. Any abusive, racist, inflammatory, defamatory, discriminatory comments or hate speech will be deleted and the user banned.

If legally obliged we will hand over your information under the Protection of Information Act.

Please report abusive posts to editor@kickoff.com.