Bafana suffer double injury blow
Posted: 18 May 2015 Time: 18:42
Midfield duo Cole Alexander and Athenkosi Dlala have both been withdrawn from Bafana Bafana’s Cosafa Cup squad through injury, while striker Puleng Tlolane is under close observation.
Following their two clashes against Lesotho last week and a day off on Sunday, South Africa were back in training today as they were put through their paces at the AW Muller Stadium at University of Johannesburg.
Yet absent from the squad in training were Alexander and Dlala, who have been withdrawn from the team following respective injuries.
Alexander was stretchered off in the goalless draw against Lesotho on Thursday after twisting his ankle and has failed to recover, while Dlala’s is suffering a recurrence of an old knock and will not be able to recover in time for the tournament.
“I will have to sit with the technical team to see who we can call up as replacements for the injured players,” said coach Shakes Mashaba. “It will be done very quickly because Wednesday (20 May) is the last day to deregister injured players and register new ones.
“We have some names we have discussed but we just need to finalise them and inform their clubs as soon as possible so they can hopefully join us at training tomorrow afternoon (Tuesday, 19 May),” said Mashaba.
“It is unfortunate that we have to lose these players after spending one week with them. We have a few days with the replacements and they will have to hit the ground running as the tournament has already started.”
Meanwhile, Rise and Shine forward Tlolane had a collision with the Lesotho goalkeeper and will undergo a late fitness test to see if he can be ready for the tournament.
Previously side-lined players Marc van Heerden and Gift Motupa were given a clean bill of health and trained with their teammates today.