0 - 0
Seisa Ramabodu
26/11/2008 15:30

Geoffrey Serunkuma of Celtic shields the ball away from Bongani Khumalo of Supersport United.

Related News

Related Club News

Celtic, United in goalless stalemate

Posted: 26 November 2008 Time: 17:54

Bloemfontein Celtic and SuperSport United played to a goalless draw in their Absa Premiership match at the Seisa Ramabodu Stadium on Wednesday afternoon.

The result sees Phunya Sele Sele, temporarily at least, move off the bottom of the table at the expense of Free State Stars, but they could yet be in last position again come the end of the day if Ea Lla Koto manage a draw or win against Platinum Stars in the evening games.

United, meanwhile, stay second, but they will be disappointed at not having claimed revenge after Celtic put them out of the Telkom Knockout in their quarterfinal match earlier this month.

Celtic threatened early on, with Moses Spandeel forcing Denis Onyango into a good parrying save in the eighth minute.

In a game of few clear chances, SuperSport had their best moments of the first half when Hlompho Kekana drove a straight at Celtic goalkeeper Patrick Tignyemb and Liberian attacker Anthony Laffor saw his 20 yard effort flash wide of the upright.

Both sides looked to have a bit more urgency in their approach after the half time break. No doubt coaches Mich D'Avray and Gavin Hunt had a few stern words to say to their charges in the changing rooms, but there was still a definite lack of incisiveness in the attacking third from both sides.

Spandeel saw his 48th minute shot from the edge of the penalty area go just the wrong side of Onyango's right hand post, while Thabo September couldn't find the target with a header when Elias Pelembe had picked him out from a corner kick a few minutes later.

September and fellow United defender Morgan Gould were both guilty of heading off target later in the half as Pelembe corner kicks looked a likely route to break the deadlock.

Celtic substitute Darryl Smith looked lively following his introduction in the 70th minute, and the lanky attacker at least forced Onyango into a save with a long range effort in the 81st minute, though he blotted his copybook with a yellow card moments later for a rash challenge on Dennis Masina.

Report by Backpagepix

Terms of use:

The comments posted do not reflect the views of KickOff.com. Users are reminded that no misuse of this comment facility will be tolerated. Any abusive, racist, inflammatory, defamatory, discriminatory comments or hate speech will be deleted and the user banned.

If legally obliged we will hand over your information under the Protection of Information Act.

Please report abusive posts to editor@kickoff.com.