2 - 0
(0 - 0)
Lucas Moripe Stadium
17/02/2015 19:30
Referee: Kulasander Qongqo

Related News

Related Club News

PSL Absa Premiership: SuperSport United vs Kaizer Chiefs

Posted: 17 February 2015 Time: 19:25

SuperSport United scored two second-half goals to end Kaizer Chiefs' unbeaten streak in the Absa Premiership with a 2-0 defeat at Peter Mokaba Stadium.

Jeremy Brockie and Dove Wome scored second-half goals for Matsatsantsa to ensure Chiefs' unbeaten League start came crashing to a halt.

There was an enforced change from Chiefs coach Stuart Baxter even before the game started after Tsepo Masilela pulled up injured during the warm-up. As a result, Siboniso Gaxa, who was originally named on the bench, came back in to start.

Chiefs deployed a 3-5-2 formation with Mandla Masango at right-wingback and Gaxa at left-wingback as Mulomowandau Mathoho, Tefu Mahsamaite and Morgan Gould held down three central defensive positions.

It was a first half of few real chances as both sides managed to play the containment game, looking like they did their homework on each other.

On SuperSport's side, Brockie showed his confidence with two ambitious volley attempts, the first with his left foot from 24 yards in the fifth minute of the game and the other a right-footed attempt. Both went well wide.

For Chiefs, the best chances came from Bernard Parker set-pieces, where Mathoho headed one wide from the edge of the box and Gould saw a glancing header fly straight to Ronwen Williams.

United did have the ball in the back of the net in the 36th minute but after some excellent footwork from Kingston Nkhatha to fashion a deflected shot, Thuso Phala found himself in an offside position before squaring for Brockie to tap in.

Masango had the best chance of the half for Chiefs but after Parker played him into the box down the right channel, he failed to hit the target from an acute angle.

Matsatsantsa got off to a dream start in the second half with a goal after four minutes of play. Ryan Chapman cut inside onto his left foot from the right side and swung an inch-perfect cross to Brockie lurking at the far post and the striker made no mistake from close range, burying it into the bottom-left corner of the net.

Baxter's side rallied after going one down and started pummelling the SuperSport box with set-piece deliveries, some of which forced Williams into action and others going out for more corners.

There was a sustained period of pressure from Chiefs, with the best chance falling to Parker with five minutes remaining. Mathoho hit a venomous, dipping shot from range which Williams fumbled, but Parker could only smash the rebound against the crossbar from five yards out under pressure from the goalkeeper, but he had the whole goal to aim at.

Gordon Igesund's side managed to see out the final few minutes and rounded off an impressive performance, albeit with a few scares defending set-plays, with a breakaway goal from substitute Wome.

Phala was the architect, stepping over twice before leaving George Lebese's eyes on the floor to beat him down the right and cross for the Togolese to finish off at the near post.

The result ends Chiefs' 24-game unbeaten League run stretching back to the end of last season and gives Mamelodi Sundowns the chance to close the gap to seven points, if they win their two games in hand.

SuperSport move up to sixth place on 27 points, still 20 points behind Chiefs.

HOME: SuperSport United

Coach: Gordon Igesund
Formation: four four one one

Terms of use:

The comments posted do not reflect the views of KickOff.com. Users are reminded that no misuse of this comment facility will be tolerated. Any abusive, racist, inflammatory, defamatory, discriminatory comments or hate speech will be deleted and the user banned.

If legally obliged we will hand over your information under the Protection of Information Act.

Please report abusive posts to editor@kickoff.com.