2 - 2
Super Stadium
09/11/2008 15:00

Shane Poggenpoel and John Maduka

Related News

Related Club News

Siwelele through in Telkom Knockout

Posted: 9 November 2008 Time: 17:56

Bloemfontein Celtic are through to the semifinals of the Telkom Knockout Cup, beating SuperSport United on penalties in Atteridgeville on Sunday.

In a bizarre game – which saw three own goals and a penalty inside 90 minutes – Celtic eventually ran out winners after no goals were scored in extra time.

Celtic went ahead first through a Rudi Isaacs own-goal, before SuperSport equalised with a Katlego Mashego penalty. Keamogetse Wolff headed the ball into his own net to send SuperSport ahead, before the home side scored another own-goal through Glen Salmon, to make it 2-2.

What one witnessed on the day were two teams playing two contrasting styles of football. Celtic sat back in defence and applied the long ball tactic, trying to hit on the counter attack. SuperSport, on the other hand, built up slowly from the back with some nice passing and good off-the-ball running.

With two opposing styles many thought we were going to see a boring game but that was not the case.

In the 6th minute, Tumelo Nhlapo made a nice run down the right wing and sent a ball in towards goal, which Andre Arendse came way off his line to meet, but the SuperSport keeper only managed to scoop the ball towards Rudi Isaacs, and it shot off the hapless defender into the back of the net.

Isaacs almost rectified his mistake three minutes later when the ball fell to him six yards out from goal, after a goal mouth scramble, but he fired his shot over the cross-bar.

SuperSport equalised in the 20th minute with a Katlego Mashego penalty, after referee Jerome Damone adjudged that Cyrille Mubiala pushed Glen Salmon down in the area.

United's top goalscorer this season, Antony Laffor nearly grabbed the lead for his side in the 38th minute when his shot from the edge of the big box was cleared off the line by a Celtic defender.

Celtic went behind on 45 minutes when Wolff headed the ball into his own net from a Mashego free-kick.

SuperSport took a 2-1 lead into the break, with none of the goals coming from open play.

Both teams struggled to deal with crosses and accordingly the first action of the second half, which came eleven minutes after the break, was as a direct result of a cross. Mark Mayambela failed to force Arendse into a save when he did brilliantly to rise above the defence for a cross, but unfortunately he headed the ball over the bar from only a couple of yards out.

The score was levelled again in the 58th minute – with the third own-goal of the game. Johannes Motlhaping sent a corner in, which was nodded on to Glen Salmon. The ball went through the SuperSport striker’s legs, backwards, into the net.

Brent Carelse received his second yellow shortly after, for a terrible tackle, and SuperSport were down to ten men.

The game went into extra time 2-2, but additional 30 minutes was a scrappy affair amongst tired players and both teams failed to create any decent goalmouth opportunities.

The only highlight of extra-time came in the 114th minute when Geofrey Serunkuma broke down the right flank for Celtic, and delivered a cross which Arendse made a meal out of when he tipped it onto his own cross-bar.

With no goals scored in the last half-hour, the match went to penalties, where Shu-Aib Walters was the hero – saving two out of SuperSport’s attempts.

The Celtic keeper was made Man of the Match, and in the post-match interview explained that his team had been “practicing penalties”, which may explain the self-assured performance given by Celtic in the shoot-out.

Penalty sequence

Katza scored, Mmethi scored; Mashego saved, Spandeel scored; Isaacs scored, Nhlapo scored; Pelembe scored, Kondowe scored; Mahoa saved


Supersport: Arendse; Isaacs, Katza, Khumalo, Mahoa, Pelembe, Laffor (Lemasse 77'), Poggenpoel (Mashina 86'), Mashego, Carelse, Salmon (Madubanya 64')

Celtic: Walters; Nhlapho, Mubiala, Motlhaping, Wolff, Malokase (Mmethi 91'), Maduka (Mathe 51'), Nthethe, Mayambela (Kondowe 109'), Spandeel, Serunkuma

Additional reporting by Backpagepix

Previous comments on this story...

posted: 12:48 pm
Siwelele win the cup and go down to Mvela
Terms of use:

The comments posted do not reflect the views of KickOff.com. Users are reminded that no misuse of this comment facility will be tolerated. Any abusive, racist, inflammatory, defamatory, discriminatory comments or hate speech will be deleted and the user banned.

If legally obliged we will hand over your information under the Protection of Information Act.

Please report abusive posts to editor@kickoff.com.