1 - 4
(1 - 2)
Royal Bafokeng Stadium
19/04/2014 15:00

Arrows humble Dikwena

Posted: 19 April 2014 Time: 14:47

Golden Arrows showed they still want to be in the Premiership with a 4-1 humbling of Platinum Stars in Rustenburg on Saturday afternoon.

Arrows recorded their fifth win of the season thanks to goals from Thanduyise Khuboni, Festus Mbewe, Rudolph Bester and Man of the Match Bongi Ntuli, while Siphelele Mthembu netted for Dikwena at Royal Bafokeng Stadium.

Abafana Bes’thende remain odds-on favourites to finish bottom of the log and be demoted directly to the National First Division, but this victory is a confidence-booster that at least ensures they have something to fight for in their next League fixture.

After a tame opening half hour, the match came to life just over ten minutes before the end of the first half. Khuboni converted his eighth penalty of the League season to put the visitors 1-0 up in the 34th minute, with the spot kick having been awarded after Philani Shange was adjudged to have been tripped by Sibusiso Hadebe.


However, Arrows’ lead lasted just 10 minutes. A high-foot foul in the away side’s 18-yard area gave Stars an indirect free-kick. Vuyo Mere teed the ball up for Mthembu to blast a shot into the roof of the net and make it 1-1.

It seemed the teams would head into the interval on level terms, but Mbewe capitalised on an unfortunate slip from Stars goalkeeper Siyabonga Mpontshane, who lost his footing in trying to intercept a long ball and allowed the Zambian an easy finish for 2-1 in injury time at the end of the first half.

Arrows almost extended their lead in the 54th minute when substitute Bester drove forward on a strong run and powered a low drive on target, but Mpontshane redeemed himself with an excellent diving save to his right.

However, Mpontshane was completely beaten by the same Bester just three minutes later – the former Maritzburg United and Orlando Pirates player stole the ball off Stars’ defence before firing a stunning long-range drive into the top corner to make it 3-1.

The Stars keeper’s afternoon went from bad to worse in the 65th minute. He completely misjudged a long ball from his counterpart Arthur Bartman and allowed Ntuli to get round him on the by-line and enjoy a tap-in goal to extend the visitors’ lead to 4-1.

Related News

View comments