2 - 1
(0 - 0)
Bidvest Stadium
16/04/2014 19:30

Vilakazi strike sinks Swallows

Posted: 16 April 2014 Time: 21:40

Bidvest Wits needed a late stoppage time goal by Sibusiso Vilakazi to record a 2-1 win over Moroka Swallows in their Premiership encounter at Bidvest Stadium on Wednesday evening.

Lefa Tsutsulupa thought he had salvaged a draw for Swallows with his goal in the first minute of stoppage time, but it wasn’t to be as the Clever Boys outsmarted the Birds. 

The two teams lined up alongside each other in contrasting form, with Wits having not lost in six games, while the Dube Birds were looking to take their second win in as many matches. 

Wits showed an immediate statement of intent from the first whistle. Sthembiso Ngcobo rounded Roger da Costa, worked his way towards the box and supplied a cross to Jabu Shongwe but the midfielder turned his ball onto the upright. 


A good chance fell to Calvin Kadi on nine minutes when he received the ball inside the box but, just before pulling the trigger to take a shot, Greg Etafia charged him down to push the ball out for a corner.

The Clever Boys were certainly dominating the early stages of the game and they saw another chance at goal go to waste when Papy Faty sent his effort flying over the target eight minutes later. 

Etafia denied Ngcobo the opening goal just before the half-hour mark. The towering striker, who finished as the top player of Q3, cut inside into the box and fired a powerful effort which the keeper palmed away with both gloves. 

Gavin Hunt’s men created two chances in the final stages of the opening stanza with Shongwe forcing a save from Etafia, while Vilakazi fired his shot over the bar. 

Wits came out firing with all cylinders at the restart and they saw Ngcobo nod in a cross down the center of the box, however, Etafia was equal to it. 

Kadi then drilled his shot just wide of the post in the 54th minute, while Zeca Marques threw Lerato Chabangu and Luvhengo Mungomeni onto the park. 

Moeneeb Josephs did brilliantly to deny Chabangu the opening goal when he pulled off a great reflex save in the 69th minute, tipping the Bafana Bafana player’s set-piece over the bar. 

The Dube Birds started to apply more pressure as the game drew on as Rudi Isaacs rattled the side-netting of Josephs’s goal midway through the second-half. 

Wits struck at the death when Vilakazi rolled the ball across the face goal in the 83rd minute, allowing for Getaneh Kebede to tap it in at the near post completely unmarked. 

Kebede then had the ball in the back of the net again only to see his effort ruled out for offside before the game finished off in dramatic fashion with two late goals. 

Tsutsulupa struck with a half-volley in the first minute of stoppage time, before Vilakazi slammed home to make it 2-1 to the home team.

Related News

View comments