2 - 1
Soccer City Stadium
26/03/2014 19:30

Chiefs scrape past FC Buffalo

Posted: 26 March 2014 Time: 18:47

It wasn’t quite as comfortable as they would have hoped, but Kaizer Chiefs are through to the Nedbank Cup quarterfinals after a 2-1 win against FC Buffalo at Soccer City.

Ivan Bukenya and Mandla Masango scored the goals for the defending champions, for who Simphiwe Mtsweni also netted an unfortunate own-goal towards the end of the first half.

Amakhosi coach Stuart Baxter rung the changes for the match, with not one player who featured in the 3-0 defeat to AS Vita Club over the weekend starting the match.

Predictably, Chiefs dominated from the outset, though clear-cut chances were reserved for corner-kicks.


On one such occasion, in the 10th minute, Bukenya had a free header from Masango’s set-piece, but it skimmed off his head and went wide of the far post.

Six minutes later and there was an even bigger missed opportunity as Katlego Mphela ran onto Siyabonga Nkosi’s pin-point cross, but he headed over the bar from just six yards out.

Nkosi had a shot from distance parried around the post by Thando Mthimkulu, before Mulomowandau Mathoho put his free header at the far post straight into the keeper’s arms.

FC Buffalo’s first attempt came on 25 minutes when Themba Maloyi broke away and fired a long-distance shot on target, but Brilliant Khuzwayo gathered at the second attempt.

Chiefs’ goal eventually came on 30 minutes from a corner, which was conceded after both Mathoho and Masango had efforts cleared off the line in quick succession.

Again it was a set-piece that proved Buffalo’s undoing, and this time Bukenya made no mistake with his header.

Mathoho headed another corner-kick just wide before Mtsweni’s moment of madness in injury-time – the young defender sweeping an innocuous cross from the left past his own keeper with no opposition player anywhere around him.

The Second Division side then almost took the lead soon after the restart, but Myron Hoffman’s diving header from a free-kick skimmed the upright.

From there it was normal service as Chiefs continued to dominate, with George Maluleka coming close with a left-footed shot, before Nkosi saw his deflected drive rebound off the upright in the 55th minute.

Shortly afterwards Chiefs again hit the upright when Mathoho rose highest from a corner, and the same player sent another effort inches wide at the far-post.

The goal did eventually come though, on 70 minutes. Lebese showed some great skills down the left in skinning a defender before floating a cross to Masango, whose diving header found the back of the net.

Mathoho continued to be frustrated in his efforts to get a goal as his 83rd-minute header was cleared off the line, though Buffalo came within inches of forcing extra-time but for Mdudizi Mabaso’s volley from a tight angle coming back of the upright.


Chiefs: Khuzwayo, Gordinho (Gaxa 64), Mathoho, Bukenya, Mtsweni, Baloyi, Maluleka, Lebese, Masango (Rusike 86), Nkosi (Parker 64), Mphela

FC Buffalo: Thando Mthimkulu, Sonwabile Mgedezi (Tebogo Kukama 62), Pitso Phehelo, Mhlengi Sigwebela (Siyabonga Rautini 84), Mduduzi Dlamini, Myron Hoffman, Matume Madimabe, Nathaniel November, Mdudizi Mabaso, Thembile Taliwe, Themba Maloyi (Sherman Smith 71)

Related News

View comments