3 - 0
(2 - 0)
Tata Raphael Stadium
23/03/2014 16:30

Chiefs fail to capitalise in Congo

Posted: 23 March 2014 Time: 16:05

Kaizer Chiefs suffered their first CAF Champions League defeat after going down 3-0 to Congolese side AS Vita Club on Sunday.

Chiefs were by no means outplayed and actually bossed the majority of the game, but were made to pay for failing to take their chances by a clinical counter-attacking display by AS Vita.

Ndombe Mubele scored a hat-trick for the side from DR Congo to give his team a massive advantage heading into the second leg in South Africa.

The visitors started positively as Siphiwe Tshabalala's free-kick was saved early on and Kingston Nkhatha's shot was blocked. Chiefs showed their attacking intent with some good early possession.

But Stuart Baxter's side went behind in the eighth minute as Mubele opened the scoring spectacularly from a cross that Tefu Mashamaite was unable to clear.

Nkhatha and Knowledge Musona both came close to equalising before Musona had another shot go wide as Chiefs tried to find a quick response to going 1-0 down.

Musona tested the opposing goalkeeper again and combined well with Tshabalala a few minutes later, but his attempt went over the bar as Chiefs continued to push for an equaliser.

Then there was another scare for Chiefs as Mubele rattled the crossbar from a corner.

Chiefs continued to dominate proceedings and force the play as Musona forced another save from the Vita goalkeeper, but then they went behind against the run of play.

A swift counter-attack by Vita ended with a shot that Reyaad Pieterse could not hold, and Mubele was on hand to finish, 2-0.

Chiefs went into the half-time break knowing that an away-goal to make it 2-1 would still give them a great chance in the tie with the home leg still to come.

But it was 3-0 as soon as the second half began as Tefu Mashamaite and Tsepo Masilela allowed Mubele to control the ball and get his shot off to complete his hat-trick and compound the misery for Amakhosi.

The 35 degree heat and humidity continued to play a factor on the day as Chiefs huffed and puffed to try and find a way back into the game on the artificial turf.

Nkhatha hit the post from a Bernard Parker in the 58th minute as Chiefs' continued to show great spirit in an attempt to get back into the match.

Matthew Rusike was brought on in place of Nkhatha as Baxter tried to change things up in attack.

Tshabalala and Musona continued to shoot at goal, the striker forcing another save from the opposition keeper before missing a glorious chance in the 67th minute.

'Shabba' started a move from the centre and passed to Parker, who then played in Musona. But with the keeper beaten, the Zimbabwean could only direct his shot over the bar with the goal at his mercy.

Pieterse had to be alert to keep the score at just 3-0 in the 72nd minute before Musona missed another chance to score from a Tshabalala pass.

It could have been worse right at the death when Kgotso Moleko tried to head the ball back to Pieterse, but instead found Mubele waiting to pounce.

Fortunately for the youngster, and for Chiefs, the hat-trick scorer missed the chance to make it 4-0 and effectively end the tie.

AS Vita: Lomboto, Mampuya, Kasereka, Bafola, Ebunga, Munganga, Lema, Lusadisu, Kila, Mumbele, Eteklama

Chiefs: Pieterse, Moleko, Gould, Mashamaite, Masilela, Letsholonyane, Katsande, Tshabalala (c), Parker, Nkhatha (Rusike 66), Musona

Article by: KICK OFF

Related News

View comments