1 - 1
(0 - 1)
Old Peter Mokaba Stadium
21/12/2013 15:30

Polokwane share spoils with SuperSport

Posted: 21 December 2013 Time: 15:13

Polokwane City drew 1-1 with visiting SuperSport United in the clubs' final Premiership game of 2013 on Saturday afternoon.

United took the lead 12 minutes in as Mor Diouf tapped in from close range.

However, City striker Esau Kanyenda rose impressively to head home a left-wing cross shortly after the hour-mark at the Old Peter Mokaba Stadium. 

The result leaves Polokwane 11th in the standings with 15 points from as many games - five points behind fifth-placed Matsatsantsa, who have played two less matches, and trail leaders Kaizer Chiefs by seven points.


City mentor Boebie Solomons made three changes to the side that lost to Moroka Swallows last time out, with on-loan midfielder Moffat Mdluli the most notable absentee.

Meanwhile, United boss Cavin Johnson made just one change from the outfit that drew 1-1 with local rivals Mamelodi Sundowns on Monday.

Jabu Maluleke was included in the starting XI in place of the suspended Sameehg Doutie who was sent off in the game against the Brazilians.

Both sides showed attacking intent from the onset and it was United who opened the scoring through centre back Diouf 12 minutes into the encounter. 

Mame Niang shrugged off his marker before nodding Man of the Match George Maluleka’s corner-kick into the path of Diouf who made no mistake from point-blank range.

The visitors looked the most likely to add to their tally as the half drew on with Niang and Sibusiso Khumalo especially causing the City defence problems.

Kanyenda had an opportunity to pull Rise and Shine level on the 37th minute. He lost his marker but was unable to direct his attempted volley from the edge of the area on target.

United were deserved leaders at the interval.

The home side looked the better outfit following the break and rightfully pulled level in the 65th minute through Kanyenda. 

The Malawian out jumped an overzealous goalkeeper Rowen Fernandez who had made the call to punch the ball to safety to nod in his fourth goal of the season.

Meanwhile, Modiri Marumo pulled off a fine save in the 75th minute of the encounter. The City shot-stopper dove well to his right to keep out  Maluleke’s curling free-kick.

Both sides pressed forward in the latter stages without reward.

Related News

View comments