1 - 1
Loftus Versveld Stadium
16/12/2013 18:00

Tshwane derby ends all square

Posted: 16 December 2013 Time: 17:21

Bragging rights were put on ice, as Premiership leaders Mamelodi Sundowns drew 1-1 with Tshwane neighbours SuperSport United on Monday night.

Hosting Matsatsantsa, who had Sameehg Doutie sent off late on at Loftus Versfeld Stadium, entered the break 1-0 up thanks to a stunning 20th minute strike from Sibusiso Khumalo, but Downs hit back via a Katlego Mashego free-kick soon after the interval.

The result leaves the Brazilians two points ahead of Bidvest Wits at the summit, with the Clever Boys defeating Maritzburg United 3-1 on the same evening. 

However, champions Kaizer Chiefs can move joint-top with Pitso Mosimane's outfit if they beat University of Pretoria in the late kick-off at Soccer City. Amakhosi, though, do trail somewhat on goal difference.


The Brazilians were quickest out of the blocks in their game, and had a chance to score as early as the third minute, but Khama Billiat failed to hit the target from only a couple yards out after connecting with a cross from Man of the Match Bryce Moon.

The next effort on goal came in the 12th minute as Hlompho Kekana fired a powerful struck 35-yard free-kick over the crossbar.

Three minutes later and United were afforded their first sight of goal after Miame Niang found himself through on goal after latching onto a George Maluleka pass, but the tall striker poked his shot just wide with Kennedy Mweene rushing on to him.

SuperSport, however, took the lead soon after, as Khumalo drove a 35-yard thunderbolt into the top right-hand corner of the net.

Eight minutes later and Kurt Lentjies missed a guilt edged chance to double United’s lead when he failed to beat Mweene from 14-yards out after the ball fell kindly for him. To Mweene’s credit he did make a good save low and to his right to deny the United man.

Sundowns ended the half the stronger of the two teams and came close to finding the equaliser in the 38th minute as Billiat played a neat one-two with Mashego before shooting inches wide form just inside the box.

The start of the second half saw Sundowns doing all the pressing and they quickly rewarded with a goal in the 48th minute as Mashego fired home a 22-yard free-kick, 1-1.

The next effort on goal only came 20 minutes later as Billiat brought the best out of Rowen Fernandez, the United keeper diving full stretch to his left to deny the Sundowns man from 25 yards out.

Doutie should have scored the game’s third goal in the 77th minute when he found the ball at his feet 14 yards out from goal and under no pressure from the defence, but shot over the crossbar.

Seven minutes later and Doutie’s night got worse as he was sent from the field after receiving his second yellow card for a clumsy challenge.

Related News

View comments