1 - 1
Soccer City Stadium
27/08/2013 19:30

Chiefs, Swallows in stalemate

Posted: 27 August 2013 Time: 18:54

Bernard Parker’s penalty cancelled out Lerato Chabangu’s opener as Kaizer Chiefs and Moroka Swallows played out to a 1-1 draw at FNB Stadium on Tuesday night.

The first half was nothing to write home about with chances being few and far between.

Swallows started off the better side and as early as the second minute, Dikgang Mabalane was allowed space on the right wing and put in a cross. Luvhengo Mungomeni almost scored with an acrobatic attempt, but Itumeleng Khune was alert to make the save.

In the 11th minute, Reneilwe Letsholonyane played a long pass and the Swallows defence was caught out as they failed to pick up Siboniso Gaxa. ‘Pa’ came one-on-one with Greg Etafia, but the latter made a vital block to deny Chiefs the lead.


Four minutes later George Lebese broke free down the left and found Gaxa in the box with a cross, but the defender miscued his attempt and the ball went out for a goal kick.

After this, both sides struggled to create any real opportunities and the match headed into halftime goalless. However, the game did come to life in the second half.

Stuart Baxter pulled off Lebese for Mandla Masango after the break, but it was still the Dube Birds that created the first chance of the half.

Chabangu played a great pass to Mabalane, who in turn moved the ball to Siyabonga Nomvete, who tried to curl the ball around Khune but his attempt went wide in the 51st minute.

Swallows took the lead in the 56th minute with a great finish from Chabangu. Mabalane put in the cross and ‘Ace’ did the rest with a neat finish with his left foot.

The lead didn’t last long, though. Knowledge Musona was put through on goal and as the Zimbabwean prepared to pull a trigger, Asavela Mbekile committed himself in the box and as Musona took a tumble, the referee pointed to the spot.

Bernard Parker stepped up and converted on the hour-mark.

Barely five minutes later, Musona was brought down on the edge of the box by Rudi Isaacs as he surged forward. The referee gave Chiefs a free-kick which Parker fluffed with a poor attempt that hit the wall.

In the 67th minute, Gaxa cut in from the right but instead of shooting at goal, he tried to find a teammate. However, his pass was wayward and Swallows survived to fight on.

Then it was the Khune/Chabangu show for the next few minutes, with the dreadlocked midfielder having two free-kicks saved by the Bafana Bafana captain – crucial saves that earned him the Man of the Match award in the end.

Both teams had a couple of chances to win the match, but in the end a draw was a true reflection of the 90 minutes.

Related News

View comments