1 - 0
Moses Mabhida Stadium
25/05/2013 15:00

Chiefs complete the Double

Posted: 25 May 2013 Time: 13:48

The 90 minutes were nothing to write home about, but extra-time was a different ball-game as Kaizer Chiefs beat SuperSport United 1-0 to win the Nedbank Cup on Saturday at Moses Mabhida Stadium.

The full house was treated to a feisty start of the 2013 Final as tackles were flying in all over the place, resulting in Bevan Fransman being booked in the 11th minute for a foul on Siphiwe Tshabalala.

From the resultant set-piece, ‘Shabba’ put the ball in the box and Fransman, in turn, headed to safety.

The Tshwane side had a half-chance in the 20th minute after Franklin Cale took a free-kick from the right and Kermit Erasmus flicked it over with a header, but Itumeleng Khune was alert and easily collected.


In the 32nd minute George Lebese was booked for a foul on Sibusiso Zuma and Cale’s free-kick was headed over the bar by Edwin Gyimah, who was having a solid game in defence.

However, the best chance of the half came in the 39th minute, and George Maluleka should have done better. The midfielder played a one-two with Erasmus and beat two defenders, but then shot over the bar from inside the box.

So, at the break, Amakhosi and Matsatsantsa were deadlocked.

After the interval, both teams started off playing a more open game, but for ten agonising minutes there were no real chances on either side until Erasmus tried to force his way while being closed down by two Chiefs defenders in the 55th minute. The nippy striker managed to shoot, but his attempt went wide.

Two minutes later Mulomowandau Mathoho was booked for a foul and Erasmus’ free-kick was curled over.

In the 65th minute, a seemingly relaxed Gyimah was dispossessed by Lebese, who didn’t waste much time as he laid the ball on for Parker in attack, but the latter’s shot was brilliantly saved by Williams for a corner.

 Four minutes later and Maluleka appeared to be shoved by Chiefs defenders in the box and ended up on the ground, but referee Zolile Mthetho booked the former Ajax Cape Town man for diving.

SuperSport United coach Gavin Hunt decided he had seen enough and took off Maluleka who was immediately replaced by Ashley Hartog. Chiefs responded with their own substitute in the 73rd when Siyabonga Nkosi replaced Lebese.

With six minutes of regulation time remaining, Katsande tried his luck to break the deadlock with an ambitious strike from 20-yards out but his attempt was slightly over.

There was a penalty shout at the death after Fransman appeared to block Mathoho’s shot with his hands, but the referee waved play on to end the match deadlocked and so it went to extra-time.

The next 30 minutes were a different ball-game.

It took barely four minutes for Chiefs to get the first goal of the match, with Bernard Parker finishing superbly at the right corner to send the Amakhosi fans into a frenzy.

After the first half of extra-time, Sthembiso Ngcobo, who replaced Lehlohonolo Majoro, could have finished it off as a contest, but he dragged his shot wide with Williams to beat.

With three minutes to go, Tshabalala combined with Letsholonyane but Shabba’s shot was blocked by Gyimah for a corner. The Ghanaian was named Man of the Match for his efforts.

However, Chiefs had done enough and as the final whistle blew they celebrated in style as they completed a League and Cup double.

Related News

View comments