1 - 1
Peter Mokaba Stadium
15/05/2013 19:30

Chiefs are League champions!

Posted: 15 May 2013 Time: 21:21

Kaizer Chiefs needed just one point to win the 2012/13 Premier Soccer League and they got it with a 1-1 draw with SuperSport United at Peter Mokaba Stadium on Wednesday.

See a gallery of the celebrations HERE!

The draw ensures the Phefeni Glamour Boys win the coveted League trophy for the first time in eight years.

The first half was nothing to write home about, however. Chiefs lacked composure throughout the half and the two teams went to the interval goalless. In fact, it took 25 minutes for a goalkeeper to be called to real action, when Tefu Mashamaite was adjudged to have fouled Atusaye Nyondo in the 25th minute.


The referee on the day, Thabo Nkosi, awarded a free-kick to Matsatsantsa a Pitoli and Kermit Erasmus hit a direct shot that was saved by Itumeleng Khune.

Chiefs had a chance to take the lead on the half-hour mark, but Bernard Parker failed to take full advantage after a long ball from the back hit Lehlohonolo Majoro, who lost his balance.

Parker picked up the pieces when the ball fell into his path in the box, but smashed his shot wide.

Six minutes later Chiefs had another chance to draw first blood, but this time Majoro was denied by Ronwen Williams, who used his right leg to block the shot in a one-on-one situation.

On the stroke of half-time, Williams was called in to deal with a cross but mistimed his punch, and the ball fell kindly to Siboniso Gaxa, who shot over the bar despite having acres of space.

Chiefs came out all guns blazing for the start of the second half and it was no surprise when Majoro put them ahead just four minutes after the restart.

Gaxa played a long ball into the box, Williams let it bounce and Majoro picked it up to score with his left foot into the empty net.

Chiefs continued to push forward for more and, in the 59th minute, Parker was allowed space to shoot from outside the box but found Williams well positioned to make the save.

Then it was SuperSport’s turn to attack. Substitute Clifford Mulenga, who replaced Mark Haskins, dribbled his way towards the Chiefs box in the 67th minute and passed to George Maluleka whose shot was decent but Khune made the save for a corner.

From the resulting set-piece, Ashley Hartog’s header hit the crossbar and Chiefs cleared.

In the 74th minute, the Tshwane side was given a free-kick on the edge of the box after Parker committed a foul.

Sameehg Doutie had a shot at goal, Khune got down to block it but Zuma was there to finish off. However, the goal was ruled out as the veteran striker was ruled offside.

Matsatsantsa eventually got the equaliser with two minutes of regulation time remaining. Doutie passed the ball to the overlapping Maluleka who crossed for Zuma. ‘Rhee’ controlled the ball superbly and hammered home.

That is how it ended and Chiefs are crowned champions.

Related News

View comments