2 - 3
Royal Bafokeng Stadium
08/05/2013 19:30

SuperSport edge five-goal thriller

Posted: 8 May 2013 Time: 18:44

SuperSport United are through to the Nedbank Cup Final after an action-packed 3-2 win over Platinum Stars on Wednesday night.

For a gallery of the action CLICK HERE!

The Tshwane side will meet Kaizer Chiefs on May 25 at a venue to be announced on Thursday, but which is believed to be the Moses Mabhida Stadium.

The North-West started the better side, showing their intentions as early as the fifth minute when Tintswalo Tshabalala shot from outside the box, but his left-footed strike found Ronwen Williams in a good position to make an easy save.


Barely a minute later, Vuyo Mere whipped in a cross from the right, but his intended target Henrico Botes couldn’t connect and the chance to go further ahead was missed.

SuperSport were not happy to be just on the receiving end and responded when Sameehg Doutie put in a dangerous cross from the left that was cleared to safety in the eighth minute.

In the 21st minute, Erasmus scored after being put through one-on-one by Doutie, but the goal didn’t count as the nippy striker was flagged offside.

Three minutes later, in the 24th minute, Dikwena drew first blood. Thuso Phala beat the SuperSport central defenders for pace, but Williams did well to block his attempt.

However, Williams’ teammates went to sleep, allowing Tshabalala to capitalise from the rebound. The left-footed midfielder picked the pieces, pushed the ball forward and slammed it past Williams.

Botswana international Mogakolodi Ngele could have put Stars further ahead on the half hour-mark, but he miscued a shot inside the box with his weaker right foot.

Matsatsantsa came back from the second half the better side and to make matters worse for Dikwena, Botes was stretchered off injured and replaced by Siphelele Mthembu just four minutes into the second stanza.

SuperSport United drew level in the 51st minute courtesy of Erasmus, who beat the defence for pace to slot home. A couple of minutes later, he could have put his side in the lead but he was unlucky as his shot hit the crossbar.

However, SuperSport did take the lead in the 79th minute when substitute Clifford Mulenga took advantage to score. Stars keeper Kabelo Dambe appeared to have been fouled by Mogogi Gabonamong, but the referee allowed the game to go on and the Zambian put his side in the lead.

It wasn’t over, though.

Phala was brought down by Bevan Fransman in the box in the 90th minute. Young striker Thabani Mthembu, who had come on as a substitute a couple of minutes earlier, stepped up and Williams saved the initial spot-kick. The linesman called for a retake because Williams had come off his line and Mthembu converted at the second attempt to take the game into extra-time.

Early on, Phala hit the side-netting from a tight angle down the left when perhaps a better option could have been crossing for Robert Ng’ambi in the box.

SuperSport sealed the tie with a penalty of their own in the 105th minute when Edwin Gyimah was fouled by Gumede. Veteran striker Sibusiso Zuma made no mistake from the spot-kick.

Related News

View comments