0 - 0
Soccer City Stadium
30/03/2013 20:15

Pirates and AmaTuks draw

Posted: 30 March 2013 Time: 22:11

Orlando Pirates and University of Pretoria's Premiership clash at Soccer City ended goalless on Saturday night.

Happy Jele came closest to scoring for the home side when his thunderbolt hit the crossbar. For Tuks, Bongani Zungu should have scored in the dying moments had it not been for an excellent Senzo Meyiwa save.

Mame Niang and Ayanda Gcaba were at the epicentre of this bruising affair, with the big Senegalese striker in the thick of the physical encounters.

Gcaba finished the game with cuts and bruises to his lip and forehead while several others players took knocks as both sets of players put their bodies on the line.


It took until the 24rd minute for the first real chance on goal. Daine Klate, however, was let down by a poor first touch when he was played into a great position on the left side of the danger area.

Then Niang gotinto the danger area but as he fired on goal Ayanda Gcaba got in an excellent slide tackle to send the ball out for a corner.

With just a minute to go before half time, Klate beat his man twice before getting ball onto his left foot, but his stinging effort was tipped for a corner by the impressive Washington Arubi.

In the 48th minute Bucs whipped a ball across goal and Lekgwathi headed back across goal, only for Mbesuma to dive in and just fail to get his boot to the ball.

Then Tuks came close in the 56th minute when Junior Sibande burst through the defence, but Meyiwa did really well to save in a one on one situation.

Jele then had the ball in the back of the net in the 81st minute, but it was ruled out for offside after a goal mouth scramble.

With three minutes to go, Jele rattled the crossbar with a stinging long range attempt, which had left Arubi rooted to the ground.

In the dying seconds Meyiwa made a world class save to deny Tuks a clear goal when he made himself big to block a Zungu volleyed attempt as the game ended goalless.

Related News

View comments