1 - 2
King Zwelithini Stadium
30/03/2013 15:30

Late goal sinks Arrows

Posted: 30 March 2013 Time: 17:53

A late goal from Papy Faty handed Bidvest Wits maximum points as they edged Golden Arrows 2-1 on Saturday afternoon.

Lucky Nguzana came off the bench to cancel out Sibusiso Vilakazi’s opener, but the away side came away victorious after Faty netted the winner is the closing minutes.

The first chance of the match fell for the Arrows in the 11th minute when Bonginkosi Ntuli controlled a cross from Sibusiso Hadebe inside the box, only to fire his low shot straight at Jackson Mabokgwane.

Musa Bilankulu should have done better in the 24th minute when a cross from Mzivukile Tom found him with some space inside the penalty area, but he hurried and shot wide.


Two minutes later Ryan Chapman managed to get a powerful header on target, connecting with a brilliant cross from Asive Langwe, but Nkosingiphile Gumede produced an acrobatic save to palm the ball over the crossbar.

Just before half-time, Langwe played another telling pass to release Vilakazi on the left, but the Wits skipper failed to make use of the space and fired his low shot just wide of the near post.

The two players combined to great effect straight after the restart with Langwe playing Vilakazi through the middle of the Arrows defence, and this time he made no mistake and lobbed the ball over the onrushing goalkeeper.

Gumede pulled off some good saves to prevent the visitors from stretching their lead, parrying a shot from Chapman in the 56th minute before stopping a low shot from Langwe seven minutes later.

Arrows then made some tactical changes, with Nguzana being brought on to assist Ntuli up front, and the move paid off in the 83rd minute as the substitute fired an unstoppable long range shot into the back of the net.

However, a lapse in concentration in the Arrows defence saw Wits regaining their lead in the 87th minute, with Faty springing the offside trap before sliding the ball past Gumede.


Related News

View comments