Related News

Related Club News

Keshi expected to name small squad for Kenya

The Nigeria Football Federation expects Stephen Keshi to name a small squad ahead of Nigeria's 2014 World Cup qualifier against Kenya

Posted: 5 March 2013 Time: 10:57 am

The Nigeria Football Federation expects coach Stephen Keshi to name a small squad ahead of Nigeria's 2014 World Cup qualifier against Kenya later in the month.

Keshi had earlier stated his willingness to add more quality to the team that were crowned African champions in South Africa last month by inviting players like Shola Ameobi, Obafemi Martins, Sidney Sam (whose nationality switch is still being processed) amongst others.

But the NFF have stated that they expect Keshi to name a small squad as the Federation are currently facing financial constraints.

"Of course we will look at the list from Keshi as in the past but the key thing may not be the type of players he needs but largely on how the Federation can also accommodate his plans. In this time of lean purse, we don't expect to see 35 players called up for the game." An official of the NFF told The Punch.

"The encouragement now is that Keshi already has his core players and so he is zeroing in on exactly those he wants for this game and a few others he wants to give another opportunity to prove their worth," the official said.

In a related development, the Media Officer of the Super Eagles Ben Alaiya told Brila FM on Monday that Keshi will soon release his list of invited players.

"The list of players to be invited for the game with Kenya will be out in the next 24-hours," Alaiya disclosed.

"Like we have always done, the home-based professionals will hit camp first before their foreign counterparts join them to round off preparations" he said.

Nigeria's Super Eagles will host the Harambee Stars Kenya in a 2014 World Cup qualifying match on March 23.

Article by: Uche George Egbe

Previous comments on this story...

la liga
posted: 11:31 am
Kanti dis guy didn't resign na,pls help maybe I'm lost
khosi 4 lyf...!!!
posted: 12:04 pm
he waz abt 2 resign n dan dey pleasd hm 2 stay.
SlowPoison22
posted: 12:48 pm
Wait till he fails to qualify for WC, Nigerian FA will forget everything and fire him!!! He was better off to resign while he is still on top!!!!

Should have stuck to his resignation so that come 2013/2014 season Dr Irvin Khoza was gonna bring you on Board to sail the Orlando Pirates Ship cause lapha ku Roger there is no coach!!!!
SlowPoison22
posted: 12:52 pm
A proud African Coach with his own mind, own judgement, own reasoning and I think NOW he has a right to call himeslf a BEST COACH IN AFRICA, unlike the Joke PITSO MOSIMANE told the other day.... " I am the best coach in Africa"... hahahahaha!!!! ey yazi I miss Pitso and his interviews kwi Bafana!
atosandy
posted: 01:14 pm
You people are already complaining of lack of fund and you want the coach to do what you want, not what he wants. Mind you if anything goes wrong wrong be ready to bare the blunt. Well organised federations source for funds by themselves. You people should wake up to your responsibilities.
oga
posted: 01:44 pm
The NFF is always talking about money as if we have not been playing qualifiers in the years before their coming. I know they need the money desperately to embezzle but we're watching, derail this qualifier and wait for our wrath. I ask again, where is the $200,000 that grew wings and flew out of your safe in the glass house prior to 2008 AFCON?
oga
posted: 01:50 pm
Keshi my man, don't mind them as always ignore the NFF, you can go directly now to the presidency just like Westahof - ignore them. President Jonathan is waiting for you, don't hesistate to call on him. The NFF is infested with demons, after all they can't still believe that you won the AFCON against all their satanic plans. They would do anything now to ensure they dent your enviable record. Their oyibo coach is still on the standby but they will fail because the qualifier would prove to them that anybody can coach the Super Eagles as I have always maintained here.
oga
posted: 02:02 pm
To think that the NFF is asking for $600,000 to prepare for the match against Kenya at home is a further light on their hidden agenda to embezzle funds, using the forthcoming world cup qualifiers as guise. The EFCC should be on the alert because they are all set to "eat and clean mouth" on the altar of lucre.
Anonymous
posted: 07:23 pm
Reports say they still owe Eagles their winning bonus for the Afcon. These are the same Eagles that also won 1.5 million dollars as price money from CAF. WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO ALL THE MONEY? Slyman
Terms of use:

The comments posted do not reflect the views of KickOff.com. Users are reminded that no misuse of this comment facility will be tolerated. Any abusive, racist, inflammatory, defamatory, discriminatory comments or hate speech will be deleted and the user banned.

If legally obliged we will hand over your information under the Protection of Information Act.

Please report abusive posts to editor@kickoff.com.