1 - 1
Moses Mabhida Stadium
02/02/2013 20:30

Mali beat Bafana to reach semis

Posted: 2 February 2013 Time: 23:23

Mali beat Bafana Bafana 3-1 in a penalty shoot-out to reach the Africa Cup of Nations semi-finals after the teams were tied 1-1 after extra-time.

Bafana scored first during the first-half through Tokelo Rantie and Seydou Keita got the equaliser in the second half.

The hosts played very well in the first-half dictating play through the midfield and deserved to go into the break leading but Mali played well in the second half and when they scored early in the second half it seemed to knock the wind out of Bafana. Extra-time was fairly even with both sides having slight chances to score.

Penalty shoot-out:


SA: Siphiwe Tshabalala (scored), Dean Furman (fail). May Mahlangu (fail), Lehlohonolo Majoro (fail)
Mali: Cheick Diabate (scored), Adama Tamboura (scored), Mahamane Traore (scored)

South Africa started the match well putting Mali under pressure, getting the crowd on their side from the start.

Bernard Parker found space in the 6th minute but his shot lacked direction and did not trouble the Mali keeper.

Seydou Keita hammered a powered in a shot from distance in the 9th minute, but it went well over the bar.

In the 13th minute Mahlangu burst into the danger area beating defenders, passing to Letsholonyane but nothing came of it.

Mahlangu turned the Mali defence with a great through ball to Tokelo Rantie, but keeper Diakite just beat Rantie to the ball.

Bafana took the lead in the 31st minute when Mahlangu broke free and slipped the ball to his left to Thuso Phala, who whipped a pass across goal for Rantie to stab home from close-range, 1-0.

Goal scorer Rantie had to be replaced by Lehlohonolo Majoro in the 44th minute due to an injury.

Majoro was put through on goal by Letsholonyane in the 55th minute but good defending and brave goalkeeping saw the chance go to waste.

An unmarked Keita scored for Mali in the 58th minute against the run of play when he got on the end of a Mahamadou Samassa cross and put his header past Khune to bring Mali level, 1-1.

Then a mistake by Gaxa four minutes later allowed Samassa a shot at goal, but Khune saved well. Then it was Mahlangu who went close in the 80th minute after a good combination with Majoro that resulted in a first time effort on goal, which was saved.

The match went into extra-time with both sides looking fatigued but giving away nothing and the match ended 1-1 after 30 minutes.

Mali kept their nerve in the penalty shoot-out as Bafana failed to score three of their four penalties while Mali did not miss. The Mali goalkeeper was the star of the shoot-out making three saves.

Mali will face the winner of Nigeria/Ivory Coast that takes place on Sunday in the semi-final on Wednesday.

Related News

View comments