The Orlando Pirates man looked set to sign with Chippa United last week, but the move broke down at the final hurdle, with Mayambela not willing to sign for longer than six months.
Chilli Boys boss Chippa Mpengesi told KickOff.com that the player was holding out for a move to Chiefs, but his agent, Tim Sukazi, insists there has been no approach from Amakhosi.
“No, we have not received any formal approach from Kaizer Chiefs,” Sukazi tells KickOff.com. “But of course Mark is an ambitious player who could do well in a different environment like Chiefs, so if something does come we will look at it.”
When asked whether he would accept a new contract offer from the Buccaneers, should it be forthcoming, Sukazi says: “If Pirates were to offer a new deal we would look at it, for sure, but there would also need to be some guarantees.
“It doesn’t help him signing another long-term contract if his situation doesn’t change. He needs game-time and that is what he is after.”
Sukazi adds: “We find it bizarre as to why Mark is not playing at the moment. However, we do respect the coach’s decision. Roger de Sa is doing a great job with Mark at the moment. Maybe he is going with the ‘if it’s not broken, don’t fix it’ approach.”