3 - 2
Bidvest Stadium
19/10/2012 20:15

Wits knock Chiefs out of TKO

Posted: 19 October 2012 Time: 22:21

Bidvest Wits beat Kaizer Chiefs 3-2 to knock them out of the Telkom Knockout on Friday.

Matthew Pattison scored one goal and provided two assists, and deservedly received the Man of the Match award.

Chiefs were pushing from the first whistle, and in the fifth minute Siphiwe Tshabalala had a free-kick that found the head of Mulomowandau Mathoho, but Ryan Harrison parried the ball out.

Tefu Mashamaite managed to get a header on target from the resulting corner, but this time Harrison made a comfortable save.


Two minutes later Kingston Nkhatha had a great chance, after James Mayinga failed to control a long ball, but the striker hit just wide.

Wits opened the scoring against the run of play, when Pattison got away from his man outside the box and hit home from range, somehow beating Arthur Bartman.

Six minutes later the Clever Boys went 2-0 up when Papy Faty made his way between the central defenders and bundled Pattison's free-kick into the net.

Chiefs had a couple of chances to get back into the game, with Siyabonga Nkosi bending a shot past the outside of the post and George Lebese hitting just wide.

Sweswe sent a header over the crossbar after another good Pattison free-kick a few minutes later.

Just after half an hour, Lebese had a run into the box and found Nkhatha, but the striker sent his header over the bar and Wits held onto their lead going into the break.

That proved to be Nkhatha's last meaningful involvement in the game as he was replaced by Majoro straight after the interval.

In the 64th minutes Amakhosi found a gap, when Parker collected a pass from Lebese inside the box, turned, and scored.

Chiefs sent men forward in search of the equaliser, but Wits were the team to capitalise, when Pattison bowled forward and hit a pass to Koapeng to sidefoot home.

A few minutes later, however, Majoro lost his marker and hit home past an exposed Harrison.

Reneilwe Letsholonyane sent a shot wide a few minutes later, and Parker curled a free-kick over the crossbar.

Wits were down to 10 men in the 90th minute, when Tinashe Nengomasha was shown a straight red for a foul on Jimmy Jambo.

Related News

View comments