2 - 4
Moses Mabhida Stadium
19/05/2012 15:00

Pirates retain Premiership title!

Posted: 19 May 2012 Time: 16:50

Orlando Pirates won their second successive League title following a thrilling 4-2 win against Golden Arrows on Saturday afternoon.

The Buccaneers needed to win to render Moroka Swallows' result irrelevant.

As it turned out, the Dube Birds did beat Maritzburg United 1-0, but Benni McCarthy's magic again won the day - he headed in a 61st-minute header, before curling in a free-kick in injury-time.

The match started off at a quick pace, but it was the hosts who threatened first when Siyabonga Nkosi beat Lucky Lekgwathi on the left, but his low shot was blocked by Moeneeb Josephs at the near post.


Six minutes later fullback Thabo Matlaba came close to putting the ball in his own net when he tried to clear a cross from Mzivukile Tom, but he was relieved to see the ball coming off the upright.

The deadlock was eventually broken in the 26th minute when the visitors spread the ball wide to the right where Tlou Segolela was able to deliver a pinpoint cross for Lekgwathi to head past Helton da Rocha.

However, the joy was short-lived as Arrows levelled matters seconds later when Josephs was beaten by a low shot from Dillon Sheppard - a howler from the Bafana keeper.

Muhsin Ertugral’s men the extended their lead in the 29th minute when former Pirates player Katlego Mashego fired a breathtaking free-kick past Josephs.

Bucs rallied in search of the equaliser, but were denied by some good goalkeeping from Da Rocha, who blocked a shot from Thulasizwe Mbuyane in the 31st minute, before denying McCarthy six minutes later.

Augusto Palacios’ men did eventually draw level in the 40th minute through another defender as Sangweni connected with a cross from Daine Klate to head the ball into the back of the net.

Bucs started the second half well, using both wings effectively and it almost paid off in the 53rd minute when Segolela found McCarthy inside the penalty area, but he sent his header over the crossbar.

McCarthy did get it right eight minutes later when he got in ahead of his marker to head past Da Rocha from a long throw-in from Mahamutsa.

The former Porto star then grabbed his brace in the third minute of added time as he curled his free-kick in at the near post from the edge of the area to hand his side a two-goal cushion - and a second successive League title.

BackPage TXT

Related News

View comments