2 - 0
Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium
14/03/2012 19:30

Maritzburg ease past Celtic

Posted: 14 March 2012 Time: 21:55

A Prince Olomu goal and a Kurt Lentjies penalty were enough for Maritzburg United to seal a 2-0 win over Bloemfontein Celtic on Wednesday night.

Celtic managed to muster the first attack with just four minutes on the clock, but Clifford Mulenga took one touch too many.

It was a very defensive start to the game, and in the 15th minute Michael Morton made a run and tried to split open the Celtic defence, but his concluding pass lacked the precision and power that was desired.

Two minutes later Felix Obada was brought down by Prince Hlela, resulting in a booking for the latter, while Francis Chansa forced a good save a minute later from a Kgotso Moleko effort.


Thabani Stemmer was forced into another save, four minutes before the half hour, as he prevented Obada’s effort from going in.

Moments later, Letladi Madubanya produced a right-footed shot from just outside the penalty box that went wide left of the target.

In the 40th minute Olomu broke the deadlock with a chip over Stemmer to give his side the lead, 1-0.

The restart brought about no changes for either side but five minutes into the second period David Booysens was booked for a dangerous foul just outside the area.

On the hour mark Cuthbert Malajila was shown yellow for his challenge on Phenyo Mongala, while four minutes later Chansa did well to successful intercept a ball by rushing off his line.

Thokozani Mshengu was brought on for Mofokeng 20 minutes from time, but the score was going to change as the hosts were awarded a penalty.

Malajila was brought down in the box, but it was Lentijies who doubled the lead from the spot 73 minutes in.

Nine minutes from time Shane Poggenpoel came on for Booysen, while Morton received a booking for a foul on Mulenga. The defender is now set to miss the next match through suspension.

In the 87th minute Obada forced Stemmer into making a save as the visitors were holding on. That action was to be Obada’s last as Wayne Matle took his place on the field to see the match end 2-0.

Related News

View comments