1 - 1
AJ Swanepoel Stadium
04/03/2012 15:00

SuperSport made to sweat against Batau

Posted: 4 March 2012 Time: 19:17

Batau FC took SuperSport United all the way to penalties in their Nedbank Cup Last 32 match at the AJ Swanepoel Stadium in Ermelo on Sunday, but eventually succumbed 4-2 in the shootout.

Matsatsantsa will be relieved at having progressed to the next round from a tough away game against one of the best Vodacom League teams in the country.

United started strongly and almost took the lead as early as the 10th minute when Edwin Gyimah got away a good low shot, but Batau goalkeeper Sikhumbuzo Khalishwayo denied the Ghanaian midfielder with a fine save.

The hosts hassled and harried their PSL opponents and generally did a good job in making life difficult for Gavin Hunt’s team.


However, they were unable to create any clear scoring chances in the first half, with a 14th-minute effort from former Kaizer Chiefs development player Xolani Mabaso that forced keeper Ronwen Williams into a regulation save their only notable moment in attack.

SuperSport then broke the deadlock on 38 minutes with a goal that could only be described as ‘route one’. A thumping clearance from defence was misjudged by centre-back Mfundo Khumalo and keeper Khalishwayo, allowing Mabhuti Khenyeza to put an easy header into the unguarded net.

Batau played with a strong wind at their backs in the second half and midway through it they drew level at 1-1. SuperSport failed to deal with a free-kick floated into their box and substitute Motsamau Mabusela crashed a right-footed volley through a crowd of players and into the back of the net.

Mabusela almost scored a second five minutes later, firing a grass-cutter shot that flashed just wide of Williams’s right-hand post, with the Matsatsantsa keeper not looking like getting a hand on the effort had it been on target.

Khenyeza thought he had put SuperSport back in the ascendancy when he forced home the ball from close range with 10 minutes to play, but the assistant referee had the offside flag up, cutting short the visitors’ celebrations.

Extra-time saw few chances for either team, though United substitute Mame Niang did find himself presented with only the goalkeeper to beat in the 109th minute but his attempted lob looped over the target.

Batau appeared to lose their nerve in the shootout, with Mathebula and Zungu missing two of their first three kicks, allowing SuperSport to win 4-2 when Gyimah put away the decisive penalty.

Batau FC (0) (1) 1 (Mabusela 68’) SuperSport United (1) (1) 1 (Khenyeza 38’) – After extra time; United win 4-2 on penalties

Penalty sequence: (Batau shoot first) Mathebula misses (0-0), Erasmus scores (0-1); Setlhodi scores (1-1), Niang scores (1-2); Zungu misses (1-2), Cale scores (1-3); Ngobese scores (2-3), Gyimah scores (2-4).

Batau: Khalishwayo; Setlhodi, Mathebula, Khumalo, Kanye (Ngobese 105’), Cebekhulu, Zungu, Khumalo, Mabaso, Tshabalala (Molopo 85’), Radebe (Mabusela 66’)

United: Williams; Kekana, September, Salmon, Bornman, Maluleka (Moon 64’), Gyimah, Selolwane (Niang 75’), Cale, Zuma (Erasmus 95’), Khenyeza

Related News

View comments