1 - 2
Cape Town Stadium
06/11/2011 15:00

Arrows dump Ajax out of cup

Posted: 6 November 2011 Time: 16:49

Golden Arrows took their chances, beating Ajax Cape Town 2-1 for a semi-final place in the Telkom Knockout.

Thanduyise Khuboni and Thamsanqa Gabuza scored for the visitors, while Granwald Scott got the only goal for the Urban Warriors.

The home side held most of the possession in the opening minutes of the match with George Maluleka asking a lot of questions, but the Arrows defence provided the answers.

The first chance fell for Brent Carelse in the 12th minute when he fired a shot from long range but his effort went straight to the middle where Helton da Rocha was positioned to make the save.


Ajax had two more half-chances, firstly through a well-taken shot by Maluleka, which just missed the crossbar, and a tame header from Carelse three minutes later.

The deadlock was broken in the 32rd minute when Arrows were awarded a penalty as Thulani Hlatshwayo fouled Dillon Sheppard inside the box.

Captain Khuboni took the responsibility and fired the visitors ahead by sending Sander Westerveld the wrong way.

Arrows had two chances to extend their lead, with Gabuza shooting over the bar in the 39th minute before seeing another effort blocked by Westerveld two minutes later.

Ajax drew level 10 minutes after break when Carelse took advantage of some indecisive defending and set the ball up for substitute Granwald Scott to side foot into the back of the net.

Khama Billiat came close for the visitors but Da Rocha did well to save his ground shot in the 70th minute, and then another curled effort six minutes later.

The winning goal arrived in the 81st minute when Gabuza got ahead of the defender to flick a Sheppard shot into the back of the net.

Muhsin Ertugral's men had to endure a lot of pressure from Ajax in the final moments of the game and, despite some desperate defending at times, they held on to reach the semi-finals.


Article by: KICK OFF

Related News

View comments