2 - 2
Royal Bafokeng Stadium
17/09/2011 15:00

Leopards fight back against Dikwena

Posted: 17 September 2011 Time: 17:12

Black Leopards came back from 2-0 down to draw with Platinum Stars at Royal Bafokeng Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Solomon Mathe and Robert Ng'ambi made it 2-0 to the home side in the first half, but Kingston Nkatha's brace levelled matters in the second.

New signings Vuyo Mere and Nathan Paulse made their debuts for Dikwena.

Leopards started the better of the two teams, and saw more of the ball early on, but they failed to create any decent chances.


In the 22nd minute, Stars made their pressure pay off after some bad defending by the visitors.

Ramolesa was on the end of a cross and headed the ball back into the box, and after a bit of a goal mouth scramble Mathe latched onto the loose ball and fired it home from close range, 1-0.

Following the game’s opening goal, though, the match got a bit scrappy in the midfield and the tackles started flying. Consequently, both sides were made to pay for their aggression as both sides were forced into making early substitutions due to injury.

In the 34th minute Leopards had to replace Diala Manaka with Raymond Monama and five minutes later Stars had to replace Mathe with Sibusiso Msomi.

The substitutions disrupted the game a little and the next real chance on goal came in the dying seconds of the half, but Ng'ambi took full advantage as he scored Platinum Stars’ second with an 18-yard drive that found the bottom left-hand corner of the net, 2-0.

Leopards started the second half brightly.

Nkatha concluded a swift passing move by the visitors with a clinical finish from 12-yards out, to make it 2-1.

Leopards continued to press forward as Stars tried to sit back and defend their lead.

Again a good passing move by Leopards saw them create some space inside the box for Nkatha who made no mistake from 12 yards out with a deadly finish to level the scores, 2-2.

There was a frantic final couple of minutes as both sides went in search of the winner and Henrico Botes should really have found it for Stars in the 89th minute when, unmarked, he met a Ng'ambi cross, but his free header struck the crossbar and bounced away from danger.

The match ended 2-2 and the teams shared the spoils.

Related News

View comments