The Confederation of African Football unhappy about Libya and South Africa Afcon agreement
Posted: 26 August 2011 Time: 18:41
The Confederation of African Football on Friday expressed disappointment with Thursday's announcement by South Africa that it is to replace Libya as host of the 2013 African Nations Cup finals, labeling the news as premature and upsetting.
CAF's general secretary Hicham El Amrani said an agreement between South Africa and Libya to swap the dates of future tournaments they are to host still need to be ratified by African football's executive committee, which next meets late next month in Cairo. "We are disappointed that the South African Football Association has chosen to make public these discussions and plans before the matter is discussed by our executive committee," he said. "It would have been correct to have waited until it is discussed and ratified. It is premature and it has upset us that there has been this breach of protocol" South Africa, who hosted last year's World Cup finals, made public yesterday an agreement with Libya over the hosting of the 2013 and 2017 finals. They released a surprise brief statement on their website. Libya were due to host the 2013 finals but have swapped with the South Africa, who had been designated the 2017 event, after discussions between the two country's football associations. The civil war situation Libya has halted almost all footballing activity in the country since March as rebels attempt to overthrow the regime of Muammar Gaddafi. The next Nations Cup finals are to be co-hosted by Equatorial Guinea and Gabon in January and February after which the tournament switches to every odd year. Morocco are the hosts in 2015.